Have you ever been to counseling? If so, did it help you and your life in any way??

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 8:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I go to counseling every two weeks. I find it helpful to talk to someone who doesnt know you on a day to day basis. I can get my thoughts and wants and weirdness out in the open without the fear of hurting anyone. Im currently working through mother issues (cliche i know) and issues with loosing my youth. When someone in my family questions why i go I just tell them that my children deserve a mother with a good and stable head on her shoulders.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 8:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• YES!!! It helped me with my panic attacks and boundary issues I had with my family. I would let them tell me what to do and let them use me. Therapy helped me better than any medication. I think it depends on who you get though. You have to make sure you are comfortable with the therapist and that they have same general beliefs.
    I'm actually thinking of going back it's been a few years and I go back every 7 years or so (it's been 9).
    Anonymous

• I've been in and out of counseling throughout my life, and one thing I've learned is that the type of doctor you see has an impact on how you feel. The doctor I have now is wonderful. She really helps put things into perspective. Other ones I've had, not so much. I haven't been going to her very long, but I've noticed some changes for the better. I'm not as insecure, it's easier for me to relax, and I'm more outgoing. Just a lot happier overall. I recommend it to everyone, because we all get times in our lives where we just need to talk and see things in a new light.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 8:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I have been 2 times as a young adult and no that didnt help much.... I think they were WAY off base. I went twice for my son and that WAS a help but I was more mature and knew exactly what I needed out of the sessions. And I had a friend council me though some ppd and that helpped.

But the best advice I got for "issues" was from my dad - clean. He used to tell me to start cleaning when I got up set and I have found it very cathartic.

The second best advice I got for "issues" was from my mom - make lists. I start a list of what is wrong, what is good, what needs to be done, etc.

Anonymous

• I have tried it with a few different counselors and no they didn't help. No matter what I discussed they decided I had been abused as a child and hubby was abusing me and parents were alcoholics etc...None of this is true and I felt like they were trying to get me to admit to a past that wasn''t true. This just F***ked me up even more.
    Anonymous

• I did after a traumatic incident and it helped greatly to work through everything I was going through and to get some tools to deal with the effects of it all. It all depends on the counselor, they are not all the same. Take your time to find one you click with.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:25 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I do counceling with my daughter every 2 weeks! Yes it has helped me understand her alot more!It also has helped me to over come some things in my life!
    MarineAngel831

Answer by MarineAngel831 at 11:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Yes, I have, and once I found the right counselor I found she was very beneficial for me emotionally.
    She also taught me how to self-meditate to help me keep my anxiety under control, even while I am on meds for it, and I just love doing it!
    Counselors keep everything in the strictest of confidence unless they feel you are a harm to yourself or others.
    Going to one doesn't have to be long-term - you go for as long as you want/need to.
    And don't feel you have to stay with the one you first see. They all understand when you speak to them about helping you find another counselor to talk to. I told a male counselor that I was afraid to be in the room alone with him and I would much rather prefer a woman so he helped me find one. A young woman counselor helped me find one closer to my age when I requested it.
    They are very understanding and only want the best for you.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:45 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Yes, I recently went to 3 sessions. I think it helped a lot, if only to look at things from a new perspective.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I went to one session of family counseling as a kid, court ordered for issues of another family member, not me. I didn't want to. I managed to convince the counselor that not only did I not need counseling, but that she isn't very good at what she does. Not bad for a 14 year old. I guess it's not for everyone.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2009