What to say to a mother in law that always brings up our finances?

If we buy anything she's say "wow, must be nice to be able to blow money" or "you guys spend more money then anyone". We dont buy anything big. We live in a small town with nothing to do so sometimes on weekends we go to the "bigger town" and walk around wal mart or something. when we do buy something its diapers or soemthing we need such as house supplies. I ran a daycare so I was always buying stuff each week. thats what happens when you have 10 kids using your resources! They have a new home, fourwheelers, a hot tub, motor home a 38,000 truck and we have none of those! Getting tired of her remarks if we tell her we got anything.Hubby got a 400$ motor cycle and all she said was "how do you guys have 400$ to throw around"? We dont ask about there finances and beleive me they are in debt! I dont want to cause a fight but tired of feeling like we have to act like we don't go shopping or buy anything nice.

babycakes111

Asked by babycakes111 at 8:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• yes we have jobs. and our kids and bills are taken care of.
    babycakes111

Answer by babycakes111 at 8:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Tell her to mind her business
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 8:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• You don't need to give her an answer to that question and you don't have a right to question them about what they own either.
    Anonymous

• My MIL lives half way across the country from us and still gets on DH's case about our finances. When i talked to her last we got into a yelling match and i told her that until she starts being invovled in our everyday life not just once every couple of yrs then she can comment on our money issues.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 8:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I would say because we budget and save and don't spend what we don't have. Then say please don't ask me about this anymore I am very uncomfortable with it. As polite as you can.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I don't like discussing my finance's is what I would say.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 8:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i agree, why do you need to answer them...i would just laugh just to annoy her more and dont even answer a stupid question she has asked
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I don't tell my in laws or my parents for that matter what we buy, when we buy it...
    When she does make those comments I'd probably say something like "thanks, it's nice to be able to afford our needs as well as some of our wants"...lol
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 8:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• tell her to butt out plain and simple
    kimosgirl08

Answer by kimosgirl08 at 8:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Do it back to her. She'll hate it.
    Anonymous