Can someone please tell my husband that I am right?

According to my last period I am 7 weeks pregnant but according to the ultrasound the baby isn't but "5 weeks" according to what they found. Well I have a book that an OBGYN doctor wrote and it says, for example, if you are 7 weeks along that the fetal age isn't but 5 weeks because of all of the changes that has to occur, cells splitting and such, that I am 2 weeks further along than my ultrasound says because technically I am pregnant before there is an actual baby, make sense? So would you please tell him that I am 7 weeks and not 5? THANK YOU!!! Ugh I thought I was going to have to write to Dear Abby to get this matter solved. LOL!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes it's weird but true. You are actually pregnant 2 weeks before you're even pregnant, because they go by the first day of your last period, NOT the day you conceived the baby.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• 7 weeks based on LMP. 5 weeks based on gestational age (average 14 days after LMP start....ovulation date...date of conception..estimated). It likely has nothing to do with cell division, but rather the time before the sperm met the egg. There are two ways of counting.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Yes you're right...the official pregnancy begins the first day of your last period, even though technically you haven't concieved.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 8:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• What I think it may be is that the pregnancy is calculated from the beginning of your last period and that would be 7 weeks. That should be easy to figure out if you know when your last period was. However, you don't get pregnant until you ovulate and that's around day 14 of your period. That means the baby is actually only 5 weeks old. You are 7 weeks pregnant but the baby is 5 weeks old. That may make it more clear.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• lesbiansYOU'RE RIGHT! I remembered that from the book as well. But, you tell him at this point and given you are expecting: YOU are RIGHT about ANY and EVERYthing! LOL! Good luck!

jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 8:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• You are correct, and the doctor calculates your due date based on your definition of pregnancy (7 wks). Although conception didn't happen until about 2 weeks after that.
    almostmommy111

Answer by almostmommy111 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Ok get him to the computer......Hello anon hubby-your wife is pregnant that means she is ALWAYS RIGHT:) at least until she gives birth she is right about everything! Ok I think I get what you are saying, "way back in the day" (16 years ago) when I was pregnant the OB's always said 'give or take 2 weeks' so what you are saying makes sense.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• THANK YOU ALL sheesh! Men are stubborn. He thinks I dont know anything sometimes. Ugh. He's mad at me now LOL not just about that though. Oh well. :(
    Anonymous

• LOL goaliemom at least someone agrees! I have been trying to tell him that for almost 4 years now. LOL LOL!
    Anonymous

• Ha ha! post his cell number and we'll all give him a call! Ha! You're right!
    Anonymous