Wipes

Are the flushable wipes safe for babies? I know babies can be sensitive, but they have sensitive skin flushable wipes, too. . . I just don't see using baby wipes that you throw away as apposed to ones you can flush. Just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never use wipes on a baby. Look at all the chemicals in them. Most of them have propylene glycol, antifreeze. I'm allergic to propylene glycol. It can give you eczemza.

For my grandbaby I just get a paper towel wet. There are 'recipes' online to make your own but most use baby shampoo and that has all kinds of bad chemicals. You can fold paper towels and put them in a zip lock bag with some water, olive oil or other oil like Burts Bees Baby Oil (not Johnsons or other mineral oil) and a couple drops of castle soap.

If you use washable diapers you can use a wet diaper or wet washcloth. For my kids I made flannel wash cloths that I would wash with the diapers.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I agree with the previous answer, if you are looking for a better wipe, you can spend a miniscule amount on cloth wipes ( I use baby washcloths from the dollar tree) and make a solution of mostly water with a drop of baby oil and two drops of baby soap. Toss the dirties in a trash can in your bathroom, wash and reuse. When I go out I put moistened wipes into a ziplock bag and put the dirsties into a wet bag I purchased online for $8.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 8:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I don't use baby wipes either. I make homemade ones to avoid the harsh chemicals. It's cheaper too.

DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 8:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• buy washcloths and use those instead.

so much nicer on the bums.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I also use cloth wipes but I just use plain old water on them. I have a small squirt bottle with water in it on the changing table. My MIL made my daughter and my niece hooded towels and she used the left over pieces to make the wipes.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I use disposable wipes (Gasp!) - but not the flushable ones. I wrap them in the dirty diaper and toss them when I change diapers. I think the flushable wipes that are labeled "sensitive" would be just fine as far as sensitivities to dyes and perfumes go, but I've bought those for my potty training toddler before and they're not as soft as the regular wipes (even thought ehy are the same brand. . . . ). My favorite disposables are pampers sensitive skin wipes - they are soft, they don't smell, and they don't rip apart when you try to pull them out the container :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 10:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2009