Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Plastic or wood

cutting board? Why?

Answer Question

Asked by SandraB383 at 8:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 4 (55 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Mine isn't plastic or wood, I can't think of what it's called but it doesn't let anything soak in. I bought it at Lowes and I love it.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

  • We have a marble one and a plastic one that we sometimes use for veggies. I don't know why I just have them.

    Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

  • plastic

    Wood is porous (sp?) which means the germs and stuff can soak into it. Not good.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

  • Did you know that wood cutting boards are the safest to use? For some reason, bacteria have a tougher time surviving on wood boards.

    Research has shown that bacteria, such as the salmonella often found on raw chicken, will thrive and multiply if not removed from plastic boards. On wood boards, whether they are new or have been used for years, the bacteria die off within 3 minutes.

    Researchers theorize that the porous surface of the wood surface of the wooden boards deprives the bacteria of water, causing them to die.

    IMPORTANT: Which ever kind of cutting board you use, clean it frequently with hot soapy water. Also a quick spray with a solution of water and bleach offers added protection.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

  • Yes PP I knew that about wood, but it sure is easier to clean chicken off plastic ones!

    Answer by SandraB383 at 8:37 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

  • We have 4 cutting boards.
    Two wood ones - one for veggies and one for fruit (they are marked).
    Our plastic cutting board is for meat.
    Our glass cutting board rarely gets used unless the other 3 are being used.
    I like the plastic and glass cutting boards because they can be soaked in bleach after being washed to kill the bacteria.
    We sand the wooden ones once a year to take the outer layer off that has absorbed all the acids and odors.

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:39 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

  • I have plastic, but I used to have a wood one. I'm going to buy whichever one is the right size.

    Answer by Pnukey at 1:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Just for Fun
What's your kids' favorite food?

Next question overall (Babies (0-12 months))