How Much Is Chihuahua Pups Worth ?

how much are chihuahua pups full blooded weigh less than 5pds grown .. how much would they be worth with NO papers . I Thinking about breeding my chihuahua's the female is in heat right now ..

How much would they be worth just wundering ...

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Pets

• Without papers you may be able to get $100-$150 out of them, and you could get more if you got papers for them.

But also remember that chihuahuas tend to have lots of problems with pregnancy due to their small size, my grandmother's Chihuahua died recently during childbirth, they were taking her to the vet and she died on the way there. If you do decide to breed her don't do it repeatedly. Good Luck.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 8:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• If you're considering breeding you dog try reading this first, it might help you decide it you should or should not breed.

Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 8:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• DONT DO IT!! There are so many risks for a dog that small. There are 100's of dogs being put to sleep in your town every month because they don't have homes. Plus if you do it right you will actually lose money. Think about it-vet visits for the mom to make sure she is healthy enough to breed, possible c-section if something goes wrong, vet visits for each of the puppies when they are born (dewclaw removal if they are born with them) deworming and the first two sets of shots for each puppy. And without having papers you might get 100-150 for them. Chihuahuas are a dime a dozen-they are very common and if you do have papers you might get a couple hundred a piece. If you don't know what you are doing don't do it-and since you are asking on a mom website-you don't know what you are doing-talk to your vet in deatil about what is involved.
    Anonymous

• They're worth the adoption fee of the shelter they'll end up at. Jeez
    Anonymous

• I have to say, I agree with most of the other comments. You would be lucky to $100-$150 with no papers. If your dog doesn't have papers and the male doesn't have papers, there is no way to even prove they are purebred dogs. Also, the vet bills will be significant. Chihuahuas, don't just have to have c-sections if something is wrong, they have them when everything is right too. Most Chihuahuas can't give birth vaginally due to the large heads of the pups. You would also be lucky to get more than one pup in a litter because of the size of the dogs. I would go to the AKC website and look up information about breeding to see what they recommend and what is involved. Whoever it was that said it is right, if you are breeding responsibly, you end up losing money. I have spent a lot of time working in pet hospitals and with breeders at dog shows, PM me if you have any more questions that I can help you with on this or similar topics.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 10:48 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Just because you have a purebred dog does not mean she is worth breeding. You will not get much since they won't have papers. Frankly it will cost you more in vet bills and care of mama then you will actually make on the pups. If anything goes wrong then it will cost you even more. Dogs should never be bred just because they are purebred, you need to do all the health tests and whatr not to ensure that you are breeding quality dogs and not passing on any unwanted healthy issues. Please don't breed this dog, get her spayed instead.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I agree with KyliesMom5
    tericared

Answer by tericared at 1:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Selfish.
    Anonymous

• Agree, for the cost to make sure she is worth breeding and to care for her and the pups right you will not make back your money. Chihuahuas not only can be difficult to breed but if your dog has no papers how do you know she is purebred and how do you know that there aren't health problems lurking in her genetics? Chihuahuas are prone to many problems and they have so many because of people overbreeding them so much and because they keep breeding them smaller and smaller. My family's chihuahua had to be put down because of seizures at 12 years old, she was purebred, with papers and all, but that could very well have been a genetic problem. Cancer, hypoglycemia, eye problems, and tooth problems are just a few things chihuahuas are prone to. Please don't breed unless you know her pedigree, all the problems any of her relatives had and you get her all checked out, you won't make money off her no matter what.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 10:34 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I see so many "purebreed" chihuahuas who have turned out so funny looking and all mixed up, huge chihuahuas, no "apple head" like they should have, under bites, etc. There is also a huge risk to the mother and a high chance she may abandon her pups, especially if she ends up needing a c-section. My mom attempted to breed our chihuahua 3 different times, she never got pregnant, she gave up and decided it wasn't worth the risk anyway. Just think about everything before you even try.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 10:36 PM on Dec. 23, 2009