Does anyone else think its super irresponsible when underage moms go out and get wasted? Or rather, moms in general?!?!

I know many moms that are under 21 with young kids who will go out and party (most are single), get drunk, even high! But even moms who are legal, going and getting drunk? Partying? How is that acceptable?

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 8:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think you should get this out of your systembefore having kids. Having get caught drunk or doing drugs can really mess your life up.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 8:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• If their children are being well taken care of and it is not frequent behavior i don't care what they do on their down time. There is nothing wrong with having fun. If it becomes habit forming then that is when there is a problem ...but once every few months (if she can get out that often i envy her) i don't see a problem.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I don't think it matters if the children have a good sitter or not. What if something happened and the child had to be taken to the hospital or something? The mom couldn't drive herself to the hospital safely or have a clear head even if someone gave her a ride.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 8:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• The last time I drank was back in July. Are you telling me that just because I am a mom, I can't have a little fun once in awhile. Don't play the what if game, you will always lose and miss out on life just for a what if moment. I am not single and if one of us drinks the other doesn't.

For a mom or dad that goes out every weekend, getting hammered etc, yes that is uncalled for but most of us are adults and behave as such.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I am underage, I have two children, I am married and the only time I drink is at home with my husband in the evening after the kids have gone to bed. No, there is nothing wrong with it. And if he wasn't military we would probably be getting high.
    Anonymous

• if you leave the kids with someone responsible and it's only once in a blue moon, then why is it a big deal? and that what-if you came up with was lame...... there are 100 senarios i could come up with that would involve the parent not getting to the hospital pronto if an emergency happened (ie. travel, surgery, work issues, need i go on?) and i'm sure you wouldn't get all judgemental over that
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• travel, surgery, work issues, traffic jam, car trouble, etc aren't an impairment of judgement. its the fact that there are other ways to "get away" (and if someone can afford to drink, they can afford to go to a movie, get their nails done, have coffee, etc.) than getting drunk. im not saying a glass of wine or 2 or a beer or whatever, i am saying all out drunk.

you cant make logical and rational decisions about your childs well being if you are intoxicated. travel, work, etc at least you can communicate well over the phone.

missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• They are still people. Life doesn't/shouldn't end when kids come along and moms deserve to have a break and have fun, too. I don't agree with getting wasted but I'm not a big drinker. I don't see a point in drinking at all but that's me.
    My friend had her dd at 17. When she was 18 her parents agreed to babysit on Friday or Saturday nights so she could go out with her friends. The only stipulation was she had to get up with the baby in the morning no matter what. She's 28 now and that's still the rule (her dd is 10). There have been times she has told me she's been so hung over but she still managed to take care of her daughter. She learned real quick to watch her drinking, especially when her dd was younger because she was a handful. She was also in college and maintained As, graduated with honors, is now a teacher and plays sports in her free time. I consider her very responsible.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Forgot to mention...I never agreed with my friend's under age drinking. I sure didn't condone it and frowned upon it but it was her life, not mine, and her parents knew she was out drinking. She's 5 years younger then me but she's a much better mother then me.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Yes I do...
    tericared

Answer by tericared at 1:49 AM on Dec. 2, 2009