• In the Spotlight:

This doesn't sound right...anyone know? *This is for Comcast customers*

I called Comcast today (i have internet and cable through them), for a different reason, but while i was on the phone with them it dawned on me i could ask for wireless internet. my dh had been bugging me for over a year to get it and i'd been putting it off, but since i was on the phone with them anyway, i thought i'd ask. anyway, the lady said for them to come and install the router it would be $149!! what the heck?? why is it so much? she said she could mail me the router (for free), and i could do it myself.

i don't understand why it would be $149 for them just to come and install it??? anyone know?

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 8:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I live in tacoma, wa and it depends on what city/state you live in. each place has different specials and fyi, i think if you just got all 3 bundles from the start you would of gotten a better deal. i never paid $149 and i dont know if that would happen if i was in ur spot. wireless internet is not comcast cable internet. Wireless internet comes from your Router and your laptop that has wifi. i have a small black box in living room and bedroom thats for your remote to turn off/on tv and to change channels. i have 1 black cable modem that is hooked up to my router (Netgear) also connected to the power cord etc. it was free for our comcast modem. the router cost my husband 75 bucks at best buy in 2007.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 8:37 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• maybe she meant $149 for the whole package, your already existing cable, internet and phone? otherwise it must've been a mistake, because we have comcast and were paying a little over 120/month for cable (with the added hbo channels) and internet. id call back tomorrow and if they say that price again ask them to explain it better
    Anonymous

• Doesn't sound right..call again and see if you get someone else and ask again. I didn't pay that much for mine. But unless you know about installing these things I would have someone come and do it. Sometimes there are unforeseen issues that prevent proper installation and then you'd have to end up calling them anyway.
    kamalagt

Answer by kamalagt at 8:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• they charge installation fees on everything we had them install and we had to pay we have the phone, cable, internet bundle. Comcast is money hungry one month they charged us for the wrong package! We ordered the $179 package and they charged us for the $349!
    SebsMom29

Answer by SebsMom29 at 8:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• we pay $110 now ( i called to get it lowered from $122)
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 8:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I don't have Comcast, but I know my local cable company used to charge $100 to install wireless, now its only $20....maybe it'll change? Good luck!
    Mommy2AAA

Answer by Mommy2AAA at 8:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• That does seem high. I think they charged me $50 or so to come install my high speed internet a few years ago (after my DH and I failed at the self-install). I don't know about the wireless....why don't you call them back and verify that $149 is in fact the correct charge and why it is that much (perhaps it's difficult and time-consuming?). Then find out if there's anything they can do to help with the cost. Sometimes they will cut or waive the install fee, or give you a special monthly rate for a year, which would help offset the initial expense.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Comcast = suck ass.
    dani2780

Answer by dani2780 at 8:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i didn't even think of it being the whole bundle...i just assumed it was how much they were charging me to install it themselves. i told her if it was free for them to send me the router, then to send it to me, i specifically said "that beats having to pay $149 for them to come down the street and install it", and she agreed with me. i guess that's why didn't think of the bundle.

I live at Ft. Campbell, Comcast has a branch here, we went their to get our new box for the cable, and another time for a new remote. if it is that much and it's not the bundle, coming down the street (they are literally 5 minutes away) and installing shouldn't be that much. anyway, i already got her to send it but she said if i need help just to call and they can help over the phone, and that it beats them coming and charging me. i'll call back and check on that if i have to get them to do it. if that is the case, screw wireless! lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• That's their regular install fee. You don't need them or their router. Go to Best Buy and buy a wireless router and install it yourself. It's not hard and will be cheaper in the long run (they will charge you to rent it every month). We've had our own router for a couple of years that we got at the store (same with our modem which they also charge you for every month if you get it from them). All you do is follow the directions on the router.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2009