hard boiled eggs

what is your secret to perfect hard boiled eggs? I put them in water, and once it boils I cover the pot, put it of the burner and let it sit for a few minutes so it will cool down, then I either put the eggs in the fridge for later or cool them down with cold water...but they dont always turn out perfect. when I peel the shell off most of the egg comes with it :(
yesterday I made some the same way I always do and the yolks werent cooked all the way through. what am I doing wrong?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 8:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• i leave those suckers boiling for a while, i figure better over cooked than runny yolk (which has happened to all of us i'm sure). then i dump out the hot water and add cold and let them soak in cold for a while. once they're cool to the touch i run them under cold water, gently crack one and then there's a peel underneath the shell, if you grab the peel (maybe get under there with your nail) the shell comes off nice and easily, usually in one piece.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous

• eggs into cold water, bring to a boil - boil for 12-15 minutes. then run under cold water
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Older eggs are easier to shell than fresh eggs, too. Something about the moisture in the egg leaves through the shell so there is more air between the egg and shell. I also stir the eggs around a bit while they are cooking so the yolk doesn't settle on just one side.

Answer by Bmat at 8:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I always put cold eggs in cold water just enough to cover. Bring to boil turn heat to a simmer and simmer for 12-14 minutes. Immediately run under cold water to stop cooking process. As BMAT said older eggs peel much cleaner/easier than fresh eggs..not important if you're chopping them up...but if you are making Deviled eggs makes all the difference in the world.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:02 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• We used to have our own chickens and this was my trick to peeling hard boiled FRESH eggs: Add 2 to 4 Tbsp. vinegar to the boiling water. The vinegar helps when it comes time to peel them.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I am a Chef turned SAHM...
    I start them in cold water, bring the pot to a boil, once it boils I cover the pot and turn it off. It then sets for 10-15 minutes depending on what else I'm doing at the time. I put the pot into the sink and run cold water into it. Sometimes I peel them right after they cool just slightly and I've also chilled them and then put some hot water into a bowl and dipped them into the water to warm them a bit before peeling.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:16 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I used to do mine like mcginnisc. They came out perfect every time with no green yolks.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:03 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• your eggs need to sit for at least two weeks before cooking them. or you can put baking soda in the water and the shells come off.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:51 AM on Dec. 2, 2009