Is is wrong to have only one child?

Not sure if I am ready for another baby. In fact I might be happy with just one. Our daughter is 19 months. Reason being I would like a great education for our daughter and not sure if we can afford two "great" educations. I also haven't won any awards for having the best patience. Lol (just being honest). I've heard the second is much easier. But not sure...

MLM0503

Asked by MLM0503 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• This is totally a personal decision. Deciding what you can and cannot afford and the lifestyle you want to live and education you want to provide is not being selfish, it's being smart. And good for you for trying to make these decisions now and not after you've had six kids!!!!
    MaryAnne3mommy

Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 9:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• absolutely not.

its only wrong if you think its wrong.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• It is perfectly ok to just have one child! It is much better to know you only want one and stick with that than have more than one and regret it.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 8:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Well I hope not!! I don't think anyone can judge this at all! I would have had 5 or 6 if I had been able to, but I only have 1, and am ver satisfied with that! I thank God every day for giving me him, I don't think anyone but you and your hubby can make the choice, and that being said, it isn't even in your hands LOL, you might want one more, and have triplets, good luck with whatever you decide!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• No, it's not wrong. There is no ideal family size. You need to do what is going to work for you. I'm an only child, and I turned out fine. My only suggestion would be to find 'surrogate siblings' (kids of friends, cousins, etc.) to give your only child an extended support system. I'm still quite close to many of my cousins, I'm glad to have had a chance to have a sibling-like relationship even without actual siblings.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:01 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• The best education for a child is home schooling and all you need is a library card.

College doesn't have to cost a lot and if a child goes to an in-state, public college pell grants will will probably pay for it all. States have deals where if you score a certain score on SATs you get to go to college free. I got that 'deal.' One of my sons also got that 'deal.' I never had to pay for college for myself or my children.

Getting a great education is not a reason to not have another child. I know a lot about education. I have 2 master's degrees in eduction and have completed all my courses for a doctorate in science eduction. I've spent almost my adult life in college. I've homeschooled 3 children and 2 have gone to college. My youngest is starting college in January. I've been a single mother since I was pregnant with my youngest. I have 3 sons.

If you only want 1 child only have 1 child.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Nothing wrong with having one child, I have one 13 year old and that is all I will be having. Also, there is not rule that says a parent has to pay for a great education, a parent doesn't have to pay for any part of an education. I am a single parent and I will NOT be paying for my sons college education..he will pay for it just like I did/am.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• How many children to have is a very personal decision and your reasons are very valid because only you can decide how you want your child's education to be paid for and under what conditions.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• nothing wrong with having 1 child! I am 29, I have a 19 month old son. I would love to oneday have another baby, and for him to have a sibling, but if I dont have another child, that ok! I am perfectly happy to have a child at all!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I have a 17 month old daughter, and I honestly don't want anymore children. I am very happy with the way our lives are right now.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2009