How can I get my hair to grow?

Once my hair gets to my shoulders I hate it... I want to grow it out long, like it was before I got married... I miss my long hair, but I hate it at shoulder length. I just end up cutting it. It is in a pony tail all the time... all the time. DH's grandpa one day I wore my hair down, and he said "I didn't know you had hair!" DH loves for me to wear it down, but it is just at an odd length and I hate it... what can I do to stop cutting it and just let it grow?!

AllanRaesMomma

Asked by AllanRaesMomma at 9:01 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• maybe add some layers to it or find other ways to put it up or wear it so it gets you past the funny stage lol I think with everyone there are different lengths where we look or feel wierd with it. Hang in there!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 9:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• It's just going to grow when it grows... what else can you do? What I would suggest is to get it styled in such a way that you don't mind it at shoulder length. Talk to a good stylist that your goal is long hair but that you need something that you can work with while you grow it out. I'm in the process of growing my hair out too and it is just above the shoulder in front (a bit shorter in back) and although it's an awkward stage I can live with it... I have bangs that I love, various headbands, change my part around, and turn the ends either out, under, or poker straight with my flat iron so at least I'm making the most of the awkward stage.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• You need to have it trimmed about every 8 weeks, the average human's hair grows about 3/4 of an inch per month, so taking off 1/2 inch, will keep the bottom looking nice and healthy, shoulder length should be able to be worn in a style, maybe you need layers of some sort, look at magazines, for example Jennifer Anistons hair looks awesome and it is shoulder length, the older you get the longer you hair is the more it ages you. I have been a stylist for 20 years, so I hope this helps!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Hide the scissors from yourself!
    Just don't cut it. It will never grow longer if you keep cutting it.
    Anonymous

• Is there a GNC near you? If so get Hair, Skin and Nails. It's a vitamin that makes your hair and nails thick and long. Layers will add body but they can tend to be high maintenance.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I don't know if anyone suggested this but prenatal vitamins seem to work well!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 9:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Try some leave in conditoner and maybe a root lifter and style. That should help you get it past the awkward stage. Plus the conditioner will make it solf and healthy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• rosemary oil and tea tree oil
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 11:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I have the same problem i was trying to grow my hair out long and i went to get a trim to cut all the bad hair off and the stupid choped my hair and banks with no style..... But sister suggested to put in hair extentions but the clip on ones that u hide under ur hair... just in till it grow the lenght you want!!!
    Rosiej32

Answer by Rosiej32 at 1:51 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I used mane and tail shampoo and a boar bristle brush, My hair was growing so fast it was crazy. Now i just use the brush. I'm in an awkward hair place too. I had it chopped off to about an inch long total. I have to keep cutting it to keep some sort of style. Right now It's growing so fast I have to touch up my roots all the time it drives me crazy. Seriously try the brush, I didn't believe it but it really really works. Just wait it out for a couple of months. It's hard I know, I looked like a mushroom for awhile but if you want longer hair you just have to make it work for a little while.
    lovemylilman06

Answer by lovemylilman06 at 9:51 AM on Dec. 4, 2009