breast pumping question

Since I gave birth so prematurely when I was in the hospital, I had to pump a couple days before I even got my milk to come in. The whole time I was in the hospital I never pumped over half an ounce and I know my milk never fully came in because my boobs never got the full heavy firmness like it did with my other 2. Since I have been home I have been using a manual pump (its all I could afford for right now. Well as I have been home my milk has slowly dwindled down and has now stopped for 2 days I have pumped and got nothing not even leaking, my question is can I get it to come in again and if so how? Normally I would just go with formulabut my son being in NICU I want to make sure he gets as much breast milk as possible.

JAJA_Steele

Asked by JAJA_Steele at 9:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the more you pump the more it will come. or at least that was my expirience with pumping. I had twin boys and they never latched on...so I kept pumping.
    lots of water and I also hear oatmeal and cabbage up your milk supply...
    I mean....LOTS of water.
    I would literally be pumping every 2 hours for 10 min each side...
    Best of wishes to you and your baby. I hope he will be home soon with you!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 9:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Ask the hospital if you can rent a pump. This is what I did when my son was in the nicu. (it cost about $40 a month, I believe, that was 3 years ago) My regular little pump was not doing the job, since like you he was early and my milk didn't come in as fast. If you can't rent one perhaps they have one that you can use when you visit your son at the nicu. I did this as well. They just put me in a separate room if I was visiting him over a time that I had to pump. Once my milk really came in my pump worked really well and I returned the other one. I believe I rented the pump for three months.
    Anonymous

• Get a hospital grade pump. You can rent one for about $50/month...cheaper than formula. A manual won't do it...and especially not a cheap manual.

Having done this twice before, your body is pretty experienced and won't generate the heaviness again. That's normal.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group and check out the directory. Amongst the many tips you will find a post on every way known to woman to increase supply.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Same thing happened with me when my son was in the NICU. I kept pumping, even every hour or two, but over a couple weeks it went from maybe a half ounce to maybe coating the bottom of a bottle if I was lucky. I started drinking Mother's Milk Tea though & now when I pump I'm getting about a half ounce per session again! I know that's still not enough for full meals, but it's much better than nothing. I'd suggest trying the tea (you can find it at your local health food store) or you can try the pill form of the active ingredient (it's called Fenugreek I believe). Just keep up the great job mama!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 9:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Thanks ladies I will try all of these suggestions and hopefully get my milk coming in again
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 9:37 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Hi, just wanted to say I'm going through a similar situation too and I think I'm going to try the Mother's Milk Tea as well. Good luck, I hope we both succeed!
    TopBrit

Answer by TopBrit at 10:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Mother's milk by traditional medicinals brand. You can find it @ whole foods market. Its taste kinda gross but does work very well. Its a tea so u can add a little lemon and honey. Pump every 30 to 1 hour for abt 10 min each side. - know it seems like a bit much as soon as you get it started you can slow down and have a constant flow. Good luck
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 11:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I've heard fenugreek (herbal supplement) works well. A nurse at my hospital told me she used it when her supply was low and it worked well for her. Oatmeal helps too. Best of luck!
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 8:38 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• If you can't afford to rent a pump, see if you qualify for WIC and if you can borrow one from them. The WIC offices here loan out hospital grade pumps. Make sure you are taking in enough calories and drinking enough water. You will also need to be pumping atleast every 2 hours, even through the night. If you skip those night "feedings" it will make a difference on your supply.
    mandamitch

Answer by mandamitch at 6:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2009