Is an online degree considered credible by an employer? Can you get financial aid for online courses?

proud2Bmomma

Asked by proud2Bmomma at 9:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• yep and yep in fact lol i just filled out my fafsa for phoenix the online school
    Zandrialeann

Answer by Zandrialeann at 9:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Absolutely! I attend Grand Canyon University, for my master's degree and get financial aid - including grants.
    MaryAnne3mommy

Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 9:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Yes and Yes. Here's the catch..it has to be an accredited university,college or trade school. My husband finished his last semester online through Colorade Tech. University. His financial aid was done exactly like all others we have been through. The course were accelerated and TOUGH. The Professors meant business. Every 2 weeks(the equivalent of 6 weeks) non performers were dropped from the roster. There are many good online programs. There are also a lot of scams and papers mills. They take your money set up a student loan, hand you a diploma after a test ot two and they disappear. The problem is you didn't learn anything and the piece of paper isn't worth blowing your nose on. Just do your research and find a good foit for you.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• It's best to get a degree from a public university and cheapest if it is an in-state community college. Usually community colleges only have 2 year degrees but now some have 4 year degrees. Places like University of Phoenix are overpriced and are considered diploma mills. Employers may not hire people who have degrees from private for-profit universities. It may be impossible to get into any graduate school program except a private for-profit university and then employers still won't hire you.

I live in Tucson and have graduate degrees in education and could work for the University of Phoenix in Tucson. I won't do it because they charge over 4 times as much as the community college and then people can't get jobs.

Places like University of Phoenix help people get loans and then they are stuck with a huge student loan debt. You may be able to go to a community college with just Pell grants.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools. Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university. You can look for scholarships here: www.fastweb.com

Answer by rkoloms at 9:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• No, I wouldn't consider it as credible as a degree from state or private university/college. BUT it's better then not having a degree at all.
    Anonymous

• In most cases they aren't going to know it's not an off line school. A degree is a degree. Not only that most actual schools offer online degrees now, so how do they know who has an online and who has an offline degree??

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Yes just make sure that you check the schools accreditation. I attend the Art Institute online and love it! I also recieved financial aid including grants and loans. But yes there are many credible schools out there online.
    lablaw1126

Answer by lablaw1126 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• University of Phoenix in the #3 accredited online school in the U.S.

Anonymous

• I have to disagree with Gailll. Yes to both your questions btw. :) My husband is in his last three weeks of Univ of Phoenix. It is not overpriced, it's in the same price bracket as any other four year degree. You cannot attend the univ of phoenix w/o an associates degree, and you get that through their sister college, Axia. You can still attend classes near you. It's actually much cheaper than the other schools my husband was looking at. And if it was a diploma mill, my husband would have finished a LONG time ago. He started October 2005, and it's year round school.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 11:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2009