Breastfeeding still at 14 months - how long did you do it for?

my son is almost 14 months old and am still breast-feeding him as soon as he wakes up and at night before going to bed. I breastfed exclusively until 6-7months, then formula once a day and gradually more - because I have been working full time and pumping twice a day (my milk production started to drop - took fenugreek and all other goodies to make it come back). Anyway, cut a long story short, I am still Breastfeeding him, but I know I don't have much, specially since it is mostly on one breast! He drinks an ounce or 2 from his milk, then switches to my breast, then back to the bottle, then back to the breast and then he falls asleep. When did you stop breastfeeding and how did you do it? I don't have the heart to stop, and I don't want to stop our great bonding moments either. Every time I think about weaning him, I feel guilty and sad. Do they wean themselves or how does it happen?

ANAHITA72

Asked by ANAHITA72 at 9:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They wean themselves if you let them. You do NOTHING, and they stop the feedings on their own.

26 months here. I've known moms to go longer and shorter.

YOUR DECISION on what you do. What others think matters not at all.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I had to cut my youngest off at 25 months. He was basically down to only nursing middle of the night and first thing in the morning. I got pregnant again and desperately needed my sleep.
    Anonymous

• They will stop when they're ready. Good for you for still continuing! I bf'd my oldest (now 3) until she was a year and 2 months. SHE stopped by herself (broke my heart!), with my 2nd, she stopped around 10 months, thinking because I was pregnant, and with my 3rd, she's 6 months and I enjoy every minute while it lasts. Don't listen to anyone who tells you its time for her to stop, keep doing what you're doing!
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 9:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• We're still going at 19m but we're down to once a day. I've actually tried to get her to nurse more but she just hasn't been into it. I want to make it to at least two years but I'm not sure if that will happen at this rate :( I didn't think children could self wean so early! If I didn't ask her if she wanted to nurse in the morning I think she'd do away with that too!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 9:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I stop bf my DD at 15months. It was hard because she never tock to the boddle. any ways i had to do it because my brest would hurt alot every time she would brestfeed & that was because i was pregnant. I wanned to stop any ways but, i didnt want to see her cry so much. So when I found out that I was pregnant with my 2nd child that was what made me make that deccision. I put hotmustard around my areola & when she would ask for it i would give it to her but, she wouldnt waned because it would taist nasty. It took her 3days to get it & then she just stop asking for it. well good luck.
    Bless2haveU

Answer by Bless2haveU at 9:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• We're at 31.5 months....he is weaning slowly because milk is dwindling because of pregnancy. If your LO is nursing theres milk...give him time he will wean.

tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• There is no need for him to have cows milk. He can just breastfeed. Babies over 12 months don't need cow's milk.

My grandson was born Sept. 11, a little older than your baby. His mother works and he is breastfed. He has never had formula or milk. He sleeps with his parents and nurses a lot at night. My son or I take care of him while she works.

I breastfed for over 10 years of my life. I had 3 children. All three had hereditary immune deficiencies, asthma, and allergies. My oldest son's doctor told me to nurse him until he was 6 or he could die. So he nursed until he was 6. The other two were 4 and almost 3. I nursed the oldest two together for several years.

We found out about 2 months ago my grandbaby has the same rare hereditary immune deficiency disease. I hope my DIL will be able to keep nursing him as long as possible.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Wow Bless2 that seems harsh/mean!
    Anonymous

• I weaned my 3rd baby at 16 months. I cut down to one feeding, the night feeding. When I was ready to quit that night feeding, I turned to a new rtoutine. I made sure my kids could take a sippy cup. After bath and reading, I sat down with them in the rocker with the sippy cup. I rocked them for a few minutes, maybe ten, until they wound down. Put them in their crib. It takes awhile for them to get used to the new routine. Sort of like the Ferber method and lots of patting.

You can still bond. I used to whisper the ABC's song with my daughter while I rocked her.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 9:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I exclusively breastfeed until 19-20 months. For the most part my daughter weaned herself but I did help with giving her more water at night before bed instead of breastmilk.
    mommatobe1

Answer by mommatobe1 at 9:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2009