Do you think kids Grow Up to fast these days?

Kids today are like 6 years old with a cell phone and are swamped with school work all the time and schools are even teaching Spanish in preschool ..Don't get me wrong I think education is important but so is play time for the kids...I see 12 year old girls looking like they are in their 20's with makeup and kids want clothes and makeup now more then toys . I don't know what to think about it but I remember when I was a kid I was a kid and was not afraid to get dirty outside playing and I did not even learn about makeup and hair and stuff till end of middle school lol but I had a great time when I was a kid and still had an education but I am now a mother and still don't have a cell phone haha what does the other mothers think about this .This is just for fun

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• One of the top ten reasons to homeschool.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I agree with the cell phone thing.. I have one and rarely use it. I talk to my Hubby on it, but not to anyone else. Our 13 yr old son doesn't have a phone and won't until he is driving, and he won't drive unless he has a part time job, and keeps his grades up. We have rules, and our kids will live by them. We don't drag them to every event in town, they don't play every sport. If they commit to one they play it, finish, and if they don't like it they won't join the following year. They have chores, set bedtimes, and only do fun things if they are doing well in school and at home. We may be a bit old fashioned but that's how we were raised. We have fun as a family and feel that's the most important thing to teach them. Kids do grow up too fast, so we try to live a slower paced life. It makes them appreciate things a bit more, and not take anything for granted..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:25 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Yes, I do think they are growing up too fast and I think society pushes it that way. Its a competative thing it feels like to me.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Only if the parents make their kids grow up too fast. As for teaching preschoolers Spanish or any other foreign language...that is the best time to teach a child a foreign language. My son had to grow up faster than most kids I know because I am a single parent and he just had to learn to do some things on his own. But, he is also "immature" in some areas because I let him be a kid.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:42 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• It seems that schools, the media, television and even the government are pushing the kids to grow up too fast. We as parents need to put on the brakes and say "No". Childhood is important. Innocence is important. Playtime is important. Kids need to be kids not mini adults.
    Anonymous

• Yes I do. I also think it has everything to do with parents wanting the kids to grow up to fast. I mean come on your baby can read, why do you want your 9 month old to be able to read? I would rather the bonding special time of laying in bed with my kids reading to them and teaching them how to read then sitting them in front of the TV. I am a PS teacher and had a mom who wanted her 22 month old potty trained when she couldnt even talk and would just sit in her poop and the only way we knew she did is because she stunk. I also think unless a child is in sports they have no need for a cell phone until they have a job and can pay for it. Even in sports my kids will have a pre pay that they can only use if they get out of practice early until they are paying the bill. My bro has a storm and doesnt even use it to keep track of his practices. He is 14.
    mommyin07n08

Answer by mommyin07n08 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Oh and as for the clothes thing. My MILs BFs daughter wanted a pair of $150 jeans for her sweet 16. They got her a gift card with that amount on it and sent her shopping to get whatever she wanted. She then called her grandmother and said all they got her for her bday was jeans and she ripped my MIL and her BF a new one. They are giving us $20 more than that for our WEDDING and its to pay for a dining room table. Seriously I think some older children feel like they just deserve things and dont need to do anything in return (yes kids have wants and sometimes parents should give in for certain things like good grades or a birthday but come one a pair of $150 jeans then when you get them to bitch about that ALL you got)
    mommyin07n08

Answer by mommyin07n08 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Yeah, I totally agree. I hate seeing little girls dressed like miniature twenty-somethings. There is so much pressure today. I remember back when it was still fun to be a kid. Now I don't think I could handle the stress!
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• kids are growing up far too quick these days. i do my best to let my kids be kids.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 10:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Not any more so then when I was a kid 20 years ago. The girls at my Catholic school were wearing makeup at 12/13, going on secret dates and making out at the theater, dressing provocatively. One girl was constantly bragging about how many guys she had slept with (or done other stuff with). She left school mid-8th grade after telling a couple girls she was pregnant. Never found out of it was true. You had to avoid the playground after 5pm because that's when the kids were there smoking (cigarettes and pot) and drinking. This was the early 90s.
    My kids aren't growing up too fast. My 9yo still plays with Bratz dolls with her little sisters, isn't into make-up or boys (don't interest her at all), still watches cartoons. My kids play outside all day with their friends, riding bikes and what not. They don't get a whole lot of homework at their school They are just kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2009