What should I expect at 15 mo. old son's allergist appointment?

On Dec. 4 we will be meeting with a specialist for the first time. The paperwork, which they send to people of all ages, said that the appointment will last about two hours, and after an intake and exam, he could receive up to 60 prick tests. I can't imagine that he would need all 60, nor do I believe that anyone in their right mind would follow this same protocol with a toddler. Has anyone been through this type of exam with their kids? I just would rather be prepared then get there without a clue of what's going down...Thanks!

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 9:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My DIL had a cold that lasted a long time and just went through the allergy tests to make sure it wasn't allergies. She wasn't allergic to anything! I couldn't believe it!

The tests now are much easier then they were in the 'old days.' They will do a control test of two pricks to make sure the tests will work on your child. I recently had the controls done and you can hardly feel it. The controls didn't work for me. I reacted to both the positive and negative so I couldn't be tested that way. If the controls work then they will do a bunch of pricks at once choosen for your area (grasses, trees, ect). You only have to wait 15 or 20 min. for it to be read.

I used to go to the allergist every year. They are just slow and ask a lot of questions. Your child will be examined. It won't be that bad. I've had 3 kids & lots of doctor appointments and allergists aren't that bad.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My son saw the allergist for the first time at 10 months. They did the skin prick tests as well, though only in the areas we noticed he was having problems with. He had the 2 control sites, one saline, one a histamine...then one for milk, casein, wheat, soy, and eggs. It didnt seem to phase him at all, lamost like he didnt even notice. He reacted worse to use having to hold his arms straight while we waited the 20 mins for the results (I think they came in at 5 min intervals to check). He's still reacting to what we think are environmental allergens, but they wont do further testing or blood testing until he's 2, he's now 17 months. Apparantly they are satisfied that his anaphalactic allergies have been diagnosed, and want him to see more seasons before they test him for environmental allergies.

Good luck!
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 12:55 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Thanks guys! I'm a nervous wreck, you have no idea how much ya'll helped!
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 3:03 AM on Dec. 3, 2009