How can I get my breastfed baby to eat "solids" ? She is almost 8 months old and refuses to eat ANYTHING! She has tried rice cereal, oatmeal, and every fruit, veg, and baby meats so far. I've been working on this with her for over 2 months now with no luck. I'm beginning to think she will continue to refuse food until she is weaned from breastfeeding because she loves nursing so much. Any input?

LovinLifeMomma

Asked by LovinLifeMomma at 9:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mix it with breastmilk.
    MaryAnne3mommy

Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 9:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Someone else may have to feed it to her. My kids were all like this unless someone else gave them solids. Moma = breastmilk
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 9:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• With some babies you have to present the food up to 15 times. My baby girl was like that too. Start with something really tasty like pureed sweet potatoes mixed with breast milk. Present it to her for every meal for as long as it takes to get her to eat it and eventually she should. I used http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ for advice, recipes, and nutrition info for every single thing you can make for her. It will work out for you soon!!

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Don't give her baby food, give her real food. Try mashed banana, sweet potato, or avocado. Just mash it a little, put it in front of her and let her eat it with her fingers. There is never any need to been baby cereal, jar food, puffs, baby cookies, ect. They are processed, expensive, taste bland or bad, and not as good for your baby.

There is a website with really good breastfeeding and starting solids info: www.kellymom.com

The La Leche League website has several good articles on starting solids.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:02 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Thanks so much ladies. It's been so frustrating. I always mix breastmilk in with the cereal and oatmeal, and she doesn't like it. But I can try mixing it in with the other foods as well. My husband does seem to do better with feeding her food, but I'm the one who's with her like 80% of the time. But I keep working at it. I'm just a first time mom trying to figure things out. :)
    LovinLifeMomma

Answer by LovinLifeMomma at 10:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My daughter LOVES bakes sweet potatoes. She is against a lot of table food but sweet potatoes, she loves them!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Well, it's not actually 100% necessary for her to eat solids.

Having said that, have you tried finger foods? Like Cheerios, bits of graham cracker, just handing her half a banana to eat, etc. ? My 9 month old son prefers self-feeding to me feeding him.
    Anonymous

• Some babies aren't big on solid foods until after 12 months, mama. If we let go of the age recommendations, most babies would be starting solids between 7 and 9 months anyway. Just don't stress, and give her table foods. She'll eat when she wants. Breastmilk should be 99% of her nutrition for the first year anyway. :)
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 10:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Don't stress it. Solids in the first year are NOT for nutrition. They are for learning and experimentation. Breast milk gives your baby everything she needs. Just follow her cues. She'll eat solids when she's ready.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I second gaill

Ever taste those baby foods? They are either bland or taste terrible. Baby has taste buds too!
    Real food is the way to go.

This is a good site: http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2009