Do you find it rude when friends ask a lot of financial questions?

I "had" a friend who always asked, how much was that purse, how much was that vacation, how much was that party?? Then wld make comments oh must be nice! etc. Is that rude and how are you supposed to answer these questions? It's almost like asking how much money does your husband make!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It's rude because that is a personal matter. Just tell her like it is! say: You make me feel uncomfortable when you make those comments and ask finacial questions. If she is a friend then she will understand, and respect your privacy.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• YES! I had a friend, not a good friend either, more of an acquaintance actually, anyway, she asked me how much we pay for rent, how much DH makes, and a bunch of other nosy crap. Very poor manners.
    Anonymous

• I was raised not to talk about money. It makes me very uncomfortable. I have a new friend who I love dearly and is very open about the cost of things and her financial situation. I get uncomfortable a little, but she doesn't mean any harm in it. She never asks me about how much things cost or anything like that, she mostly just talks about her own situation.

When I am asked point blank how much something cost I usually find a clever way to side step it.

For example:
    "Cute purse! How much did you pay for it?"
    "Oh thanks! I got it at Marshall's, I got a great deal. How is John doing?"

"This is a nice house. How much did you pay for it?"
    "Thanks! We lucked out on it and got into the market at just the right time. Prices were low but interest rates hadn't sky rocketed yet."

"How much did this party cost you?"
    "Aww, you can't put a price on having a good time with family and friends! Did you try the onio
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I had a friend like that once and needless to say we are not friends any more. It was obnoxious and distasteful. It got to the point that I felt I needed to tell her this: If you are spying for the IRS stop harassing me with this line of questioning, if you are just clueless of how uncomfortable this make people, get a clue and stop. It's unnecessary, distasteful and disturbing at the same time. That was the last time I saw her but rumor has that she continues doing the same thing to other unsuspected friends.

I doubt that she would ever stop, she is too materialistic and jealous of anything good that anybody does or has. She is really a very unhappy person.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I would never ask anyone questions like that, well, maybe my BEST FRIEND, if I had one.
    Anonymous

• Yes it is rude.. I never ask such things..
    Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 10:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I depends. I am fairly open with my finances and since I don't buy much of anything that didn't come from goodwill or a discount shop I have no problems disclosing that I only paid $8 dollars for my entire brandname outfit, lol! But, I do have a friend that is constantly doing the opposite, you are sort of getting "picked on" for having money to spend and she sort of picks on me for my choice not to. I stay at home and that means that I watch my pennies pretty closely. When we are talking and I say I can't buy something, etc, she will tell me to get my husband to pay for it or tell me to get a job.
    Anonymous

• I tell no one my financial information, it is no one's business. If you shop around for a bargain you are considered "cheap" and if you pay full price you are considered "frivolous". I tell them I'll tell them what I pay if they tell me how much they make in a year. It usually shuts them up.
    Anonymous

• I was raised to know this is very rude, bad manners! My DH has a friend and it makes him completely insane that we won't share our financial matters with him. He is one of those insecure "keeping up with the Jones's" type people. I lost my father this summer, it was obvious to anyone that he was well to do. He actually keeps asking us, when I will get money from his estate and how much. We refuse to tell him anything. He became so mad at that, he made a comment about my sitting around waiting for family members to die so I could get money! My DH threw him out of the house. I really don't get where people get the nerve. To top it off, my SIL is one of those "I paid X amount of money" for whatever she buys. She feels the need to anounce how much she pays for EVERYTHING! I think that is just as rude.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Aquaintences and friends I don't talk about that stuff with because I grew up with them... That's h#lla rude! But with my closese friends like the ones I grew up we have very similar financial practices and family sizes so if my bffl asked me how much did you guys pay to go on the disney vacation I'd have no problem unveiling the goods and deals I got on booking the package... I guess my best answer is: it depends on which friend...
    Nef8eria

Answer by Nef8eria at 11:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2009