HOW DID YOU GET YOUR BABY OFF THE BOTTLE???

My daughter is 13 months old and she still wants her bottle. I try giving her a sippy cup and she smacks it away...other days she will drink from it but when its nap time she wants a bottle...HELP

TiffanieAnn

Asked by TiffanieAnn at 9:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I got my son off his bottle by refusing to fill it with anything but water. Within a few day's he lost interest and I threw it away.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 9:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• We used the stop top sippy cups and took the bottle away when she was 12 months old. It worked a lot better than going straight to the hard top ones. Put their milk or water in that. It involved some crying as they transition, but it doesn't take long for them to adapt. Some children have acquired a strong attachment to their bottle and others not so much. You need to offer their milk and water frequently in the cup though. It starts as a challenge, but cold turkey is definitely the way to go. It is usually harder on you than them.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• With my oldest - she was 16 months old before getting off the nap/bedtime bottle
    With my 2nd - he was 6 days shy of being 2!!!!! before he was off the nap/bedtime bottle
    With #3 - she was off by 11.5 months

I just stopped giving them a bottle. With my older 2 - they took it hard for a couple of nights but by the 3rd night - no big deal!!
    With my last - she never missed it. So my advice is to just get rid of the bottles (so you are not tempted to give them to her) and she will take the sippy. The longer you wait the harder it will be, but again - after a couple of nights - she won't care anymore either.

Good luck!
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 9:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i did it slowly! I offered a sippy cup at meals or on the go and I offered bottles near naptime or bedtime. once he got used to the cup he weaned off the bottle just fine!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:02 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• As soon as I knew my boys could drink from a sippy cup I took the bottle away that way there was no going back. Cold turkey may seem a little mean but if the child is really thirsty they will drink from the cup.
    kendra1417

Answer by kendra1417 at 10:37 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i did it cold-turkey too. threw away all the bottles, that way you can't give in lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i have a boy thats almost 11 months old. The past few months i've only let him have a bottle for naps or bedtime. But at 12months the bottle is gone. I took a kind route and decided to slowly introduce it. but 12 months is my cut off. But i do see how just cold turkey from the get go could work too.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 11:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• So she CAN drink from a sippy cup. Just stop giving her the bottle. Point blank, pure and simple. It's a habit now, not necessity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:53 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I just switched my daughter to a sippy cup yesterday. I threw the bottles away and only give her the cup, that's it lol. She cried a little bit last night (I'm one of those bad mommies who gives their kid a bottle in bed) but I went in and handed her the cup and she went right back to sleep. Good luck!!

-xoxo-

Answer by -xoxo- at 6:30 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Let your daughter pick our a cute sippy at the store. Tell her that she is a big girl now, and bottles are for babies; her bottles have do to babies.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2009