increasing milk production, pumping question

How many days do you need to pump before your milk production increases? How often should you pump and for how long? I tried putting my DD (she's 6 months now) to the breast more, but she just wasn't interested if she wasn't hungry and wouldn't nurse productively. I used to make 6 ounces and now all I can produce is 2 at most!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The amount you can pump is not the same as the amount you can produce. It's not that simple.

I can understand if you are working and need to increase the amount you are able to leave for while you are gone. If you are a SAHM you probably don't need to pump. Babies will nurse the amount of time they need to make the amount of milk they need. If you are working since your baby is 6 months, the baby can eat solids while you are at work and breastfeed with no solids when you are at home. That way you don't have to leave as much pumped milk.

A good way to pump is for the baby to nurse one breast and you pump the other. You have the most milk around 4-6 in the morning. Just like cows, that's why they get milked early. That's a good time to breastfeed one side and pump the other. Your milk can increase in as little as a day. Babies can increase it that fast when they are sick.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Getting 2 ounces from a pump is pretty normal (actually, it's really good for some women!) As your supply works itself out so that your body is producing what your baby has been needing, you won't be able to pump as much at one time. Pumps are not as efficient as a suckling baby, though, and should not be considered an indicator for a low supply. If you are wanting to increase your supply so that you can pump and save some milk, pump after (or even during) each nursing session, and combine the milk to make full bottles that can be frozen.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 10:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I heard that eating oatmeal can increase your milk supply.
    collinsmommy_06

Answer by collinsmommy_06 at 10:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I dont know how many days but I pump every other day and in about 10minutes on each boob I get out 4ounces. Maybe to increase try pumping every day or even twice a day for a little while or a week or 2 and then evenetually you can cut back to once a day and then every other day and get a good amount going. maybe?
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• ***I get 4 ounces out of each boobs so 8ounces total
    DomoniqueWS

• There is an all natural herb supplement that you can take to help increase milk. It's called Fenugreek. I have used it and it worked for me.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My babies thrived on breast milk, but I couldn't pump more than 2oz. at a time. EVER. It was very frustrating, but I just kept enough fresh milk in the freezer for an emergency. If your baby is thriving she is getting enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Some women pump more if they pump one side while nursing on the other. My baby would not allow this...

Answer by rkoloms at 6:32 AM on Dec. 2, 2009