my son just threw up all over his bed. ???

i don't want to over-react but it really worries me. :( he's 2 and 2 months, and hasn't thrown up since he was a baby. he didn't eat much dinner but that's pretty normal for him lately, then he had yogurt and a little bit of peanut butter banana for snack. i checked the yogurt and it smells normal and expires after Christmas.

he doesn't have a fever at all and he acts normal other than being upset about having stinky white chunky throw up all over (of course he's cleaned up now! he had to have a bath and all of his bedding changed)

anyway what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't give him ANYTHING for at least 2 hours and then SLOWLY introduce WATER ONLY. Give him a couple of ounces then wait for 10 minutes, if that stays down do it again. If that stays down give about 4oz and wait for 20 minutes...if that stays down repeat. If all of that stays down for that hour, then let him sip as much water as he can tolerate. If at any time he pukes again, start all over. The stomach needs to rest.

If he keeps water down for about 6-8 hours, then slowly introduce whatever bland food he wants.

Water only. No milk of ANY kind, no juice, no gatorade or pedialyte (sugar in those drinks makes vomiting and diarrhea worse)

Watch for diarrhea next...possibly very water, yellow and NASTY smelling. What you described of the puke, it sounds like when my sons get rotavirus.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:07 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Can't say for sure, my girl throws up every time she breaks a new tooth - but there are lots of potential causes.

At least you know the treatment is always the same - keep him hydrated, and comforted.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Aww honey, I'm sorry! That's the worst! Did he drink any milk? Last time that happened to my DD, the milk I just opened was a bit sour. The date was good, but the store cooler must've been too warm.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Probably the yogurt. I got a bad one once. It didn't smell or taste funny but within about thirty minutes I was throwing it up. I barely made it to the bathroom, which never happens to me. Immediately afterwards I felt just fine. It had been sealed and in date as well, but there's no telling whether or not it got laid out at room temperature on it's way to the grocery store, etc. It came back up exactly as it went in, for the most part, so there was no question it was the yogurt for me.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• he did have some milk right before but i had some of the same this morning so i think it's ok.

something else is i've been throwing up myself, but it's because of pregnancy, i've been throwing up for 2 weeks about every other day, but i have thrown up the last 3 days.

i just gave him a big sippy of 3/4 water 1/4 juice and he also nursed but he always just nurses a tiny bit.

he actually cried a bit and then spit up a bit of liquid and now he's sitting beside me on the sofa. he just keeps looking up at me and smiling like a little angel! :) i just worry about my little boy.

i think i might have him sleep in my bed tonight. i hope that doesn't just mean i will get thrown up all over. :(
    Anonymous

• OMG.. my son did this exact same thing last night, he threw up for his dad, then for me when i got home, i got him to have baby sips of water and a popsicle and he threw that up and then he went to bed and woke up pale and not totally himself but good mood wise all day - and went to bed tonight an hour early and bedtime is normally a fight..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• thanks windy maybe that is it. it really did look like chunky yogurt all over the bed but smelled really bad of course like throw up always does. i hope that it was just the yogurt. well i'm definitely going to throw it away now because i know it would just sit int he fridge because i'd be afraid to give it to him. i don't like it myself so i always just smell it to see if i think it's ok. and the date.... i guess dairy always has that potential. ;)
    Anonymous

• It could've just been an upset stomach. It happens. If he doesn't have a high fever, isn't acting abnormal, and isn't showing any other signs of a flu then I wouldn't worry.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I'll second Jazz. Sometimes weird things like this happen. There is a reason why it happens but the reasons can be very elusive. I wouldn't worry but I would keep an eye on him. =)
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 11:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My son throws up if he lays down flat when congested. Interesting that you mentioned the pregnancy sickness, too, because you know those "sympathy pains" that hubbies sometimes get? My son has that for me. And I'm NOT pregnant. But I have sinus congestion a lot, and so if I "spit" the congestion out, he "mimics" (he TRIES to spit) me doing that for a while afterward. I try not to laugh, he's only 2. Also, if I start coughing, like I've swallowed liquid wrong or something, He asks if I'm OK. So maybe if you rule out everything else, and it continues, it might be "sympathy puke", LOL!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:54 AM on Dec. 2, 2009