Does your baby watch TV?

My dghter's first pediatrician told me absolutely no TV until she is 2. I felt like saying to her. "Then why is there a TV in your waiting room?"

MLM0503

Asked by MLM0503 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• my pediatrician just said no tv right before bed bc it can make it hard for them to fall asleep.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:25 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• You should have said it!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My 8 month old watches "Your Baby Can Read" DVDs and "Baby Einstein" DVDs. I don't see why it could hurt them. I don't let him watch regular TV programs or anything like that unless he just glances at them while we are at the doctor's office or at someone else's house. But really what kind of damage could it really do if they aren't watching the wrong programs?
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• my son is 19 months old and actually turns the tv on himself lol. We usually have noggin or pbs on. He likes to watch blues clues and sesame street during breakfast and I might put on noggin or a dvd while he has a snack or plays. But thats it!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• You should've said it!

I don't know -- I have my TV on most of the time for background music. I turn it to the classical music XM. Once in a while it is on another show though and my 9 month old just ignores the television. He's used to it being on for background noise so he pays it no mind.

Apparently I should be reprimanded for being someone who despises silence!
    Anonymous

• I didn't mean to check anonymous. Stupid sticky mouse!
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 10:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• YOU decide when your child and if your child watches TV. Not your Pediatrician. My child's pedi never even asked about TV, just made really sure I was reading to them. My son watches TV and videos, he likes them. It cannot hurt your child in any way to watch TV/Movies. There is absolultely no scientific proof showing that it can damage your child in any way. And it can't.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My kids (all 4 of them) had no interest in the TV until they were about 18 months. Then they would only watch for a short time before wandering off to play. Around 2 was when they would actually sit through and entire 20 minute show on noggin.
    I really don't care what the experts say. My kids watch TV whenever they want (if they can get control of a TV, they don't have their own). That's as long as they behave, have all their homework done and have done their chores. In the winter they watch a lot more then during the summer. In the summer I boot them out the door after breakfast and they don't come back in until lunch and then it's back out the door until the street lights come on (or dinner is ready...whichever comes first). They usually only watch TV in the morning and right before bed then.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My 17 month old watches some tv, and I have no problem with it. It would be hypocritical for me to deny her television, while I'm watching television!! KWIM?? As odd as it sounds, she really likes commercials, especially ones with animals and babies/toddlers. I filter what she can watch, to a certain degree.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• WTFFF MY DAUGHTER IS ONE AND WATCHES TV ALL THE TIME SHE LOVES TO FALL ASLEEP WITH IT ON!
    RachelSutfin

Answer by RachelSutfin at 11:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2009