Anyone get the $40 box of groceries at their church?

It's known at my church as the $40 box of food,this includes 2-6 pieces of meat items from a full young chicken,a 2lb bag or more of fully cooked ham and it's the best tasting ham I've tried same with the chicken,then there is several frozen ground turkey and hamburger meats, a few pastries,mine hada sugar free cake,two sm. boxes of jiffy bisquit mix,good bisquits by the way and another 2lb.bag of breakfast sausage and more.All this for $40.The meats are so good just have to awe about it.Though a few meats are high in fat,you only have to eat a little.Salty?No,so that's another plus.If you don't go to church it doesn't matter,they give it out to anybody and it's been the best deal lately for me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Never heard of a church doing that before.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Almost all the churches in my town are doing it.It was so crowded the last time I got them because the food is high quality and taste so good.Everybody was there young to old,middle class to upper class,everybody knows about the deal.I was expecting to find homeless or so people and it wasn't just anybody you'd see at the store was there.There's one food item I don't like it's flattened out chicken breast patty's, I give em to my husband,he'll eat anything.I don't like either the 20-40 servings of meats you get,it's alot of putting them in the freezer later,it's a little more work but I think it's cheaper to buy the box than shop the stores.They change the menu every month so you get different foods.I'm sure you can see the foods you buy ahead of time but I've always gotten the box without looking kinda like a surpise.Only been doing this a couple of times, I hope I get the ham box again,that ham was so succulant!
    Anonymous

• I ment to say anybody you see at the store was there.
    Anonymous

• Being a Military family we get offered these things alot, but  don't need the help so we make a donation.. I bought 2 turkeys and donated them just before thanksgiving.

Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 11:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I have heard of the Angel Food Ministries which offers various food packages that are available to anyone to buy. The prices are reasonable. http://www.angelfoodministries.com/about/

Anonymous

• There is also the Share program, http://www.sharedc.org/links.htm but they aren't in every state.  They have been around a very long time, because when I was younger, my parents would get Share packages.

acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 12:05 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I've bought food from the Share program and Angel Food Ministries. Some of the stuff at the Share program isn't that great of a value. I can get some of the stuff cheaper at the grocery store with coupons and the quality of some stuff wasn't great either.

The Angel Food was pretty good and I think a better deal. They had good meat and you can buy individual meat boxes with the purchase of a standard food box.

It's not just for poor people. The more you buy from them actually helps them to be able to give more food to people who can't afford it and you can add a donation to the price of your stuff. So basically it's a win win situation for everyone involved. I think it's a great program. I haven't ordered in a long time, need to go check out the site again!
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 12:49 AM on Dec. 2, 2009