do you breast feed in public?

I just did for the 1st time today. I didnt do it in front of anyone really, I found a chair and faced it toward the window, we were on a second story so no one outside could see me, and I put a blanket over him but I dont have the guts to just do it anywhere like some moms do.

Do you breast feed in public?
how can you be discrete?

I only face the wall nd go somewhere someone cant see the front of me because it is hard for me to not show my whole boob ;) my son is only 19days so I havent had much practice being quick about it.

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 10:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've nursed wherever I needed to. Sounds like you did great for your first time NIP. As long as you're comfortable. In the beginning, I'd also turn to a wall or away from people. Even as my kids got older, I'd still do that depending on where I was, who was around, and how comfortable I felt. But most of the time, I was fine just nursing. Shirt + baby cover anything that anyone might find offensive, though even if it didn't, I'd be OK with that. Keep on doing whatever you need to do.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:01 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• If my child needs to eat and I'm out in public I breastfeed in public.
    With that said, I do try to be discreet. I don't want to be a flasher, and I don't want stared at. I just want to be a good mother and meet my infant's needs.
    When I go out for an all day shopping excursion (which I try to avoid like the plague), I always attempted to nurse the babies in the car before entering the store. I don't like to nurse in stores.
    I will however nurse with great comfort at the zoo, a restaurant, the playground, a friend's house, the county fair, the library,the doctor's office, but I do always (out of my own shyness) take a seat out of the way, off in a corner, facing away from the crowd, etc.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I threw a blanket over the baby.

One time though, we were grocery shopping and I was wearing a zippered hoodie and I zipped that sh!t open, lifted up my shirt, attached the baby, and draped the hoodie over the baby, it looked just like I was holding a sleeping baby, walking through the store (husband pushing the cart and putting the groceries in there.) That was the most exposed I ever did it in public.

Now when I was working at OfficeMax about 4 years ago this lady came to pay for her copies and sat a toddler on the counter, well, the woman's shirt was unbuttoned from the collar down to her belly, and the toddler had her boob in its mouth. The toddler moved it's head to stare at me, and totally stretched out this woman's boob, nipple still in mouth. The woman didn't care at all, paid for her copies and left. Now I bf both, but that bothered the crap out of me!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Good for you! I always nursed when and where my babies were hungry. At first it was really embarrising for me. But I finally figured out a way to do it without showing everything. I didn;t want people to see my belly. I always wore an undershirt with a shelf bra in it and a button up shirt. I would unbutton the shirt from the bottom and pull the undershirt down so the only part of my that was exposed was the breast. If you leave the top button, buttoned, it makes a nice cover. If it isn't a big enough cover for you, use a blanket.
    It will get easier. Congratulations on the new baby and keep up that great job of breastfeeding!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:48 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I BF my son anywhere, any time he needed food. I BF until he was a year and a half. I covered up but never really gave a second thought to exposure because my kid's need to be feed always came first. At the beginning it was hard, then it became second nature. If somebody had a problem, that is just that their problem.

One time a lady in a restaurant dared to tell me to BF my child in the bathroom. I wasn't showing or anything, it was just distracting to her. I told her, sure the second you eat your food there too, I will follow you. If you have a problem with my son eating, look the other way and mind your own business.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:48 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My son is a little older now (almost 2) so he doesn't need or want to nurse as often. Usually when we're out he's more interested in what is going on around him. When he was younger I nursed him in public all the time. If he was hungry, I was feeding him. Period. It didn't matter where I was. For a while I wore a nursing tank under my t shirt so I could pull the shirt up and the flap on the tank down. That way my tummy would be covered.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i have a few times but not truly, because I sat in a changing room or in my car. I just...felt like it wasnt accepted in this closed minded town. I know better now! But one time I did nurse in public in front of many people. I was about to get my wisdom teeth taken out, the doctor was very late, the waiting room was packed with once-lively people who after a while dazed out and grew quiet. SO and ds were with me, and ds got so impatient after a while. I grabbed a blanket from my car, and nursed him in the room. I dont think anyone even noticed because they were in their own worlds, but I wouldnt have cared if they did. My baby was hungry, and no longer cried once he started nursing (which i'm sure everyone appreciated lol).
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i sure do. i never got the hang of that whole blanket thing though. it was always a mess when i tried that lol. i usually have on a lower cut shirt (like a v-neck) that way i don't have to pull up my shirt and have my belly floppin around lol. i don't really think that alot of the boob shows.... they have a big head and they put alot in their mouth too lol. i never got any bad looks or any remarks about it and i'm on ebf baby #3
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I got one of those hooter-hider things, that worked very well for helping me feel modest and get my baby fed just about wherever.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Nursing in a sling is the best way to make sure no one sees anything.

If you pull your shirt up from the bottom about the only skin that shows is a little on your side, no breast. Your baby or shirt covers your breast.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2009