JW's question *No I am not bashing*

What are the scriptures you use to back up christians not being allowed to celebrate the holidays and birthdays?

I'm no Angel

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• we dont celebrate birthdays because Jesus didnt celebrate it and the only birthdays celebrated ended in something bad happening like the beheading of John the baptist (Matt. 14:1-12).

Holidays have pagan origins and as God's people, we stay away. 2 Corinthians 6:14-17
    Anonymous

• but how do you KNOW JC didn't celebrate birthdays?? i mean, he obviously attended weddings (aka: first recorded miracle of the bible)...so he celebrated some things.

DevilsAdvocate
    Anonymous

• Thank you for answering my question :)

I'm no Angel
    Anonymous

• So there's nothing in the bible that says it's wrong to celebrate birthdays - it's just one example of Herod's birthday that JW's use to say they're wrong? What about Job. He was a blameless and upright man (see Job 1:1) and biblical evidence indicates that his sons - and most probably Job, as well - celebrated birthdays. "And his sons went and rested in their houses, everyone his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and drink with them." (Job 1:4, KJV) Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible indicates that the word interpreted as "day" (yowm) in this scripture can be used figuratively as a space of time and can be rendered, with other Hebrew words (such as "his") to mean birthday.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• they probably wouldve mentioned it, if Jesus celebrated his birthday. besides this goes again with we try not to connect ourselves with pagan origins and ancient greeks and persians celebrated the birthdays of gods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• it says his sons had a banquet on their own day, doesnt specify birthday but it doesnt say that Job celebrated, if you continue reading it says that Job says that his sons sinned and cursed God in their hearts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• btw, we do celebrate our anniversaries and love weddings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My husband and I have what we call "Family Day" on our anniversary and we spend the day with our kids looking at picture and telling stories about them so they build a record of our lives to go with the pictures and we buy gifts for them and have a big dinner with everyone's favorite foods. our grandchildren love it too.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 1:01 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• lisarose, that a nice idea.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 1:06 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Thanks, this year is our 35th anniversary, I married my best friend and fishin buddy.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 1:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2009