umbilical cord

Im probably going t sound really stupid by asking this. Let me first start off by saying I have a 1 year old son and also have a 2 week old son. Anyways i was changing my 2 week old diaper and seen that his unbilical cord was about to come off but it scared me a little because it lookes nothing like my 1 year olds did when his fell off. It looks frankly disguesting and raw. I fub it with a cotton swab but i keep thinking that maybe its infected and i am kinda paranoid about it. My question is it it normal for them to look real raw?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you mean under where the stump is falling off? usually it looks wierd .... kind of gross looking but it heals up in a day or two. you could clean it with alcohol if you think it's infected. i cleaned my kids stumps with alcohol at least 2x a day
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I was told to skip the alcohol rub & use some peroxide when it is getting close to falling off. My son's looked horrible those last few days, but as soon as I started pouring about a teaspoon of peroxide on it 3x a day it healed up & fell off within a couple days. If you're really worried, call the pediatrician.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 1:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2009