Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Reporting Child Abuse?

There is a woman at my work who is leaving her 3 year old home with her 10 year old sister all day. She gets phone calls all day about the 3 year old acting up and tells her 10 year old sister to tell the 3 year old that she is going to lock her in a dark closet for time out when she gets home. She has also made references saying "tell so and so that I am going to beat her upside the head with my changlas when I get home." I have not viewed the neglect or abuse first hand, but from the conversations that I over hear, it is so sad and just enfuriates me!!! I don't want to get involved, or report something that is false, nor do I want to get my employer involved. But I know that something must be done... I dread the day that I hear that something bad has happened to her little girl... that would just break my heart.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2008 in General Parenting

Answers (9)
  • DUH? Just call your local DCF and report what you hear on the phone let them check it out. If a 10 y.o is left with a 3 year old and she wants to beat them upside the head with anything, then her kids are better off in fostercare or the DCF system!

    Answer by vbruno at 12:31 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

  • Call your local dshs or cps.. A childs safety is really important.. you can remain anonymous.. And its better to be safe than sorry

    Answer by vc_green87 at 12:43 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

  • Call and report it, definately. Don't hesitate, it's better to be safe than sorry. Imagine something happening... you would definately regret not calling. You don't have to give them your name. And you won't be reporting anything false, just tell them that you hear her on the phone all the time with her 10 y/o who is left in care of a 3 y/o all day, and that she threatens with abusive actions. Tell nothing but the truth, don't give your name, and know that you've done all you can do. Good luck and best wishes.

    Answer by jamie8506 at 12:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

  • Easier yet, call the police while she is at work and send them to her house.

    Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 2:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

  • A child at that age shouldn't be left home to be attended to by a 10 year old. This would be considered child neglect, and the other would be considered communicating threats. CALL!

    Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:25 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

  • I'm not sure where you live but in Oklahoma we have something called DHS - Department of Human Services which handles our child care system. Find out what your state does and call!

    Answer by kinzleysmommy at 8:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

  • Call and report it anonymously. I had to do it once and never gave my info.

    Answer by mbmom1 at 4:44 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

  • If you want to help, why not ask this person why isn't her child in daycare. Maybe she is not finacially able to afford child care, as far as her threatening the child, it's probably just to get the 3 year old to behave. I guess what i'm trying to say, let her know that you could not help but overhearing her situation, and if you can be of any assistance. I would do that before calling anyone and reporting something. As a single parent, it's hard enough as is. To have child protective services involved would probably worsen the situation. Although, it is not a good choice I would do to leave my 3year old with a 10yr old. That doesn't make her a bad mom. We do what we gotta do to raise our children. At least she isn't sitting at home with the kids collecting Welfare, she is trying to work

    Answer by divorced08 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

  • It's and illegal situation. She needs help. Call.

    Answer by Misha_Barista at 2:41 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.