Still looking for more input: Who do you ask for pet food advice?

I've worked with animals for the past 11 years and have developed a passion for pet nutrition. I'm trying to conduct a study with various information related to pet foods. I'd like to know what source you consider the best for giving the most reliable information about pet foods.

Tuzyae

Asked by Tuzyae at 11:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Pets

• i asked the people at petsmart....not gonna ask my vet, cuz i know all they will reccomend is whatever they sell..lol..and im not paying 50+ bucks for a bag of dog food!! especially when i have 3 dogs!! love my dogs, would do anything for them..but..yaaaaaa...lol..i have my limits to!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• depends on your vet like alexis said.

but personally my vet that i use is a small town vet person and will tell you what she thinks is a good/best food for your animal.

She told me that Purina makes good quality pet food...but i can't remember the kind she sells at the vet...some fancy kind lol
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My vet is straight forward and will absolutely work within budget! I am an Iams fan myself for dogs, but I only have on. It's the parrots here that are eating me out of house and home!
    StudioM

Answer by StudioM at 11:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My vet told me to make sure that is says a 100% complete nutrition on the bag.
    Anonymous

• I use my own judgement.. Ive been using Flint River Ranch for a few years now and it is great IMO.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 3:12 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I asked my vet and I was surprised that the brand that he recommended to me (and said that he uses for his own dogs) was not one that his office sold.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• The shelter I got my dog from recommended two kinds to us: Wellness (expensive as hell and she didn't like it), and Fromms (cheaper version good quality, made right here in WI)
    lilmama2be

Answer by lilmama2be at 11:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Well it never hurts to take a nutrition class, I guess I don't trust anyone but my own research though for the most part. When I went to college for vet assistant, my nutrition class taught me a lot, most vets do recommend what is selling in the clinic, however it never hurts to ask just to see what to say. But most importantly look at the ingrediants, anything with by products, corn, coloring or preservativs that arent natural (you want mixed tocopherals, its natural) you shouldn't feed. You should have something with meat as the first ingrediant if possible. Most foods made for all ages of dogs are really set to feed pups and shouldn't be fed to older dogs. All the ratios of protein and calcium and calories are completely different for a pup or an aging dog. So I guess I go with my own research more than anything to choose a dog food or any pet food for that matter. Lots and lots of research!
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 10:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Other pet foods like bird seed, I've found is not usually complete for most birds, especially parrots, even rodent seed diets aren't complete for them. Everything I know about pet foods I either learned in college or researched so much I found the right diets for my pets. Consider the varied diets wild animals eat and it will start to guide you in the right direction.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 10:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• As mentioned before, when it comes to birds and rodents, pelleted diets fortified with fresh veggies are the way to go. Seed diets are high in fat and birds and rodents pick out only what they like and leave the rest. It's like pulling Snickers out of a food basket and eating only that.
    Anonymous