If x-rays are bad for human moms, why do they give them to dogs and cats to determine litter size? Isn't that an unnecessary intervention?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Pets

• Not really because it gives them a better idea how far along the mom is. It also gives them an idea of how many there are and the size of the pups. If you have a small breed mama that has pups that are to big she may end up needing a c-section and this way they can be better prepared.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:21 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• X-ray is most harmful in early pregnancy, when cells are still dividing and differentiating. Back before u/s was common they did used to x-ray pregnant moms later in pregnancy.... my mom was x-rayed in early labour because they wanted to check my positioning and estimate my weight. U/s was available at the time but not at that hospital and not in any other hospital in that area. That makes me old, doesn't it?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:59 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I thought the same thing when the vet wanted to x-ray my pregnant guinea pig to see how many babies she had in her. I opted not to have her x-rayed. She had four babies on Sunday while the vet could only feel two.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2009