how many ounces of breast milk should a 3 week old have?

The doctor said it would be nice to get him used to a bottle by giving him one every other night. My fiance gives it to him not me. How many ounces is enough?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 12:09 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I went back to work a week after my baby was born part time. 4 hours 3 days a week. The baby knows how much to eat. Follow those cues. To avoid nipple confusion my husband used a small spoon or eye dropper until she was 8 weeks old then my husband uses the adiri bottle. You may not always be able to pump so easily once you supply regulates to normal rather than excess. If you need a lot of milk get areally good pump like medela. You will pump best early in the morning and also when she feeds on one side and you pump the other. Don't skip feeds. If she isn't nursing then you pump. If you want to keep an excess flowing pump between feeds when possible.

go to www.kellymom.com for more info
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Why? You shouldn't start giving a baby a bottle until around 6 weeks to avoid nipple confusion and to make sure you're milk has time to fully adjust. Sadly Dr's don't always know much about BF, you would think they would, but they often give out very poor advice.

~breastfed 4 babies
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I didn't mean that in a mean way, just in case it's taken that way. I just get frustrated with Drs. With my babies I found I had to fill the Drs in on BF, because they didn't have up to date info on it. They could how ever tell me more than I ever wanted to know about formula.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I understand...we got a slow flow nipple and sadly since I only work 4 months out of the year I cant afford to just not work to breast feed only because I make a years worth in that amount of time (30k). I started pumping the first week he was home just to prep for this. It makes me sad but I just want to insure he is comfortable with a bottle's nipple so his dad can feed him if he gets hungry the 4 hours a day that I am gone. Plus maybe this will give them a chance to bond better too.

Luckily we have about a month to get this mastered before I have to go to work
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:28 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Well that makes sense. Don't feel bad you have someone who loves him taking care of him. :o) Just make sure you're nursing as often as possible from your breast to make sure you're building up your milk supply. One bottle a day should be enough to get him use to the bottle. You will get the most milk if you pump first thing in the morning. Just start out feeding him 2oz and if he is still hungry try another 2oz (why waste milk?). He will probably only get hungry once maybe twice while you are gone.
    Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• yes I pump
    Every other day
    I pump 10minutes per boob and get 4 ounces out of each so in about 20 min I get 8 ounces...I think thats good
    But since hes getting 1 bottle a day I will start to pump daily to make up for lost time
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:04 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• i have a four week old right now and i too pumped since he came home. i keep a good supply in the freezer for a back up plan just in case something were to happen to me. he's had the bottle a total of about 6 times. yes, i know about nipple confusion but there are just certain instances where that can not be avoided. my DS was a little slow with the bottle nipple, but has no problem when it comes to eating from it. he had about 3 oz per feeding up until this week. he jumped up to 4-4.5 oz per feeding. i've noticed he's grown a lot. i hope this helps
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 1:10 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I could never get that much pumping even when my children were older and drinking more. They were thriving so I never worried about it. I usually could only get 2oz total. Lucky you! I'm envious. :o)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• They should have as much as they need/want. There is no set numerical amount.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:51 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• As many as baby wants.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:13 AM on Dec. 2, 2009