Have you ever walked to get groceries at a local store?

I was just thinking about this woman I know that drives 1 block to the store down the street from her for 1 bag of groceries.
I live 2 1/2 blocks from this store and shop there for produce, milk and emergency ingredients (that I've run out of or didn't get at the cheaper store). I always walk there and back in the rain and snow, cold and hot. I carry all my groceries in those reusable bags (more comfy then the plastic ones).
And if I know I'm getting more then I can carry comfortably I enlist the kids to help. Everyone carries something including the 3yo if she comes.
There are times I do this at least once a week and never thought about it. Better then many people I see in the neighborhood that don't have cars and take the bus to Target (a couple miles away) and have to carry all their stuff home along with their kids. Yikes (although I would have no problem walking to Target and picking up a few things).

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 12:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes, I walk all the time to the store. Where we used to live it was a 15 minute walk there, now in our new town, we live only 5 minutes from stores. I love it. I walk in the rain or in the snow, but if its excessively cold (-10 with the windchill) or going to storm, I don't go.

I don't drive and we only have one car as it is, however for the heavier things like 10lb sacks of potatoes, large boxes of cat litter, etc. I call DH at work and he gets it before he leaves as he works for Walmart. LOL
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:03 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Also, when I was in college I didn't have a car and had to walk every where. The wal-mart was about 2 1/2 miles away and once a week I would huff it up there (up and down hills and across the highway) to pick up groceries I couldn't afford at the closer Hy-vee (which was about 1/2 miles away). I could only buy as much as I could carry/fit in my book bag. Then I would carry it all home (about 50lbs worth of stuff). I did it in heat waves and with 2' of snow on the ground. Then I started working there and had to walk there and back every day (coming home at 8pm in the dark).
    I also walked to the laundromat every other week which was about 1 block away. I carried my laundry bag which was filled to the brim and had my book bag filled with something to do and the soap.
    Yet I was constantly called "fat & lazy" because I was overweight. Lazy? I'm not the one circling the parking lot looking for the closest spot, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:43 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I don't have a car but I live around the corner from Food Maxx. I just put my son in his wagon and walk there and back. I take the wagon in the store with me so it doesn't get stolen and just use it instead of a shopping cart.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 12:43 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My local store is 7 miles away, so no I don't walk there. I do however walk to the bakery from the grocery store or to the bank from the grocery store parking lot, they are 2-4 blocks away from grocery store. I wish I lived in town for some of these reasons, it would be great to just walk to the store without having to start up car and use gas. I use to work with a gentleman who would gripe about scraping his car windows and shoveling out behind his car in winter before he would come to work, he lived 1 block past the parking lot for our work. I didn't get it, it would have been quicker for him to walk to work than for all he did before he left his driveway with his car.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I live a mile and a half from the grocery store and I walk to it all the time when it's nice out. If it's a nice day I'd much rather get a little exercise and take DD out for a walk! If it's cold, rainy, too late at night, or I have to get A LOT of groceries then I'll drive but hey it's 3 miles round trip!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:47 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• No I haven't I wish I could, the nearest store is too far for me to walk.
    kidomom

Answer by kidomom at 12:48 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• When the kids were little we lived in this small town and the grocery store was a few blocks away. We'd walk over there all the time to pick stuff up and then I'd stick it in the stroller and make the youngest walk (she was 2/3 years old).
    And on the note of the guy driving 1 block to work:
    I had some people freak out when they found out I walked to wal-mart every day when I worked there. They were like, "where do you live?" I'm like, "in town, across from the post office." They went nuts going on and on about how far that was. I just stared at them. It was 2 1/2 miles (took me about 45 minutes because I'm slow). These same people lived in the development across the street from the wal-mart and drove every day. It would have taken them less time to just walk (they would have to drive the winding roads out of the development first).
    I don't walk as much as I used to, been trying to change that.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:54 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Well, the major grocery store I shop at is about 7 miles away with a free way as the only meanss to get there so no, I don't walk. We do have a small grocery store 2 blocks away and a Conveenient store about 2 1/2 blocks away and in nice weather I will walk there but in bad weather, I will drive to both. my hubby cannot walk long distances, he drives to both and my teens detest walking now that they have their own cars so they drive to both most of the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Another anecdote:
    Last summer we were at our local Target (which is about 2 miles away) and we had an "accident". The rear passenger side tire of our truck sheered off as we were turning out of the parking lot. Nobody got hurt, we didn't hit anyone (neither did the tire) but we ended up stranded on the side of a very busy 6 lane road in the middle of July. I didn't like sitting there with the traffic screaming around us at 40mph so I got the kids out and we left.
    They were 8, 6, 5 and 2 (the 2yo in the stroller). With the stuff we bought (several bags) and 1 bottle of water. It was 90F. Man the kids whined the whole way, lol. I enjoyed it (other then the whining). It was an adventure. Most people I know would have called someone to get them.
    Only casualty was my 5yo's feet. She ended up with horrible blisters and rode half way home in the stroller, while the 2yo walked or rode in her lap.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:00 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I have moved alot over the years and did close enough to walk to the store....I always did walk to if it was just a few things and there were times where I took the bus to the target store or mall with my kids when they were little.
    Now I am living in the downtown area of a small town. It's maybe 3 miles by 3 miles...and yet everyone works in town and lives within walking distance...the school is 3 blocks away yet my teens are always wanting rides to and from school. When I was a teen I walked 7 blocks one way to the bus stop!
    People really have gotten lazy! Even that way with drive through.....Yesterday I was at Burger King and the drive through was around the building! yet I went in and there was NOBODY WAITING....I had to shake my head...all those people waiting in their cars and they could get the food faster by going inside.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2009