Is the truth relative?

What is true for me is not what is true for you?
Is it okay to judge other cultures by the standards of your own, or not?

Please include why you believe what you do or think the way you do.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 12:59 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I dont' think truth is relative. Truth is what is. However, we all have a perspective that is culturally based. It is very hard for us to see absolute reality because we all see through our own filters. Hence I think that truth is absolute, but we mostly see our own perspective of truth, and our own perspectives/beliefs are always relative.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:04 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Jesus said: "Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth." (John 17:17) There is no reason to fear the truth. Remember Jesus' promise: "You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (John 8:32)
    2Cor 4:3,4: "If, now, the good news we declare is in fact veiled, it is veiled among those who are perishing, among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through."
    We can tickle our ears with whatever we want (2 Timothy 4:3) but ultimately there is only one Truth.

CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 4:18 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Truth is not relative!  When it comes to religion, only the dead know the truth and their not talking.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:33 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Beliefs are relative. Truth is not.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:05 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Somebody said (Neitche maybe) that there is no truth, only interpretation. Which means he thinks depends on our perception. I disagree, I believe there is a truth.  Most religions' point of view is that there is one truth. The eastern philosophies are more vague about this.

But I think this is the fundamental difference between liberals and conservatives, that liberals consider truth to be relative and conservatives consider truth to be fixed. There is no compromise between these two positions.

shellbyrne

Answer by shellbyrne at 9:04 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• You can't logically argue against the existence of absolute truth. To argue against something is to establish that a truth exists. You cannot argue against absolute truth unless an absolute truth is the basis of your argument.

No one really knows what the truth is.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:48 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Truth is absolutely relative. That was one of Jesus's main objective hear on earth was to preach the truth about God.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:21 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Absolutely not.
    "Truth" in this context is merely a perception of knowledge.

Personally, the question of the afterlife has been answered for me, and I feel no need for religion in my life, or the lives of those I love and am responsible for. Though most religions teach important moral responsibilities, I feel that I am more capable of imparting right from wrong to my children simply on the basis of understanding that you have one life, and it will be spent in misery if you treat those around you badly. Rather than having them fear an all seeing god who will damn them to hell for doing something wrong.

To each his/her own, it is not my place to convert, nor will i have my own beliefs (truth if you will) tread upon by those who are too ignorant to agree to disagree.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:55 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Truth is absolute but there are very few cases in which mankind actually knows the truth IMO. There are many things that we believe to be true but might not be 100% right about because we don't fully understand it. There is no one religious truth, no one perfect political system, and no one right way to raise a child to give a few examples because those things are not absolutes.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:56 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Yes

Answer by admckenzie at 12:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2009