Should we do almost nothing after having a baby?

I cant just be in bed and sleep all day. I have a year old son and a helpless boyfriend. I got preeclampsia at 31 weeks and had to have my little girl early. I got out of the hospital and ended up back after just a few days. My blood pressure is a problem and now Im on bed rest at home. I was told from a family friend that I need to relax and just stay in bed. However, its hard when my daughter is at the NICU and my son is sick. My boyfriend works odd hours and helps when he can. My friend told me if I dont relax it will hit me when Im older. Is anyone else having problems now that they didnt take the time to recover after a pregnancy.

i_am_ur_kittie

Asked by i_am_ur_kittie at 1:11 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes with my first I didn't take time to rest, I ended up tearing my stitches and had to go get that taken care of!
    With my second I stayed home and relaxed except for doctors appts and I felt like I recovered better. Take the time to relax, recruit family and friends to help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• When my son was in the NICU I was told to rest as much as possible, but instead I spent every moment I could in there with him (I didn't have any other children to care for). I even went as far as to request they call me from my room that I was boarding in at the hospital every time he needed to eat so that I could feed him. I didn't get more than an hour or so of sleep each day. After getting home & not having those nurses to help with his well-being anymore (& a husband that is as useful as a wooden stick during a gun war) I realized why they suggested the extra rest. My body just couldn't take it & in turn I couldn't care for my son very well. I got ill & am even now still battling a bad depression due to not caring for myself when I had the chance. NICU babies need a lot of extra attention & tend to be more clingy...it can really take a toll on you. I suggest you rest now so that your body can properly heal & prepare...
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 1:18 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• ask that family friend if s/he can help you out instead of just giving useless advice! gl and i hope you and baby are better soon
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Dec. 2, 2009