ive read alot of different things, and taken my birth class but id like answers from women who have gone through it... when did you know it was time to go to the hospital?? this is my first and i really dont know what to expect or what i am looking for??!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Try not to worry Sweetie. You will know when it is time. You will have plenty of time to get there.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 1:17 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I agree with the above. You will know when it is time...I knew it was time bc my water broke at 445am..But you will or should start having contractions, possible water breaking (not all womens water breaks on its own), there are so many things that strike up that its time to go. When it starts getting closer talk with your Dr or Midwife and they will help you better understand when it is time to go. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• With my first it started with BH contractions that went on every 10 minutes or so for hours, then they became painful and more intense. I went to the hospital when they were about 5 minutes apart and was sent home. I couldn't believe they sent me home, I was so upset I just sobbed the whole way home. The contractions got much worse maybe an hour or so later, but were really irregular. I didn't know when to go in at that point. A few hours later I told my husband I couldn't take it anymore and just take me in so I could at least beg them for some pain relief if they aren't going to keep me. They kept me that time and commented on how I had done a lot of laboring at home. I don't think they should have sent me home the first time, but as upsetting as it was at the time, it's really no big deal. Don't worry about it too much, if you go in too soon the worst thing they can do is send you home.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:29 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My water never broke, but I woke up with "cramps" around 5 am. I realized they were contractions and started timing. When they got to 5 minutes I called the dr - when I got to the drs office I was 6 cm, went straight to the hospital where I was 8 cm. It happened quickly, but I knew what it was!

Answer by missanc at 8:53 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• well i went to my midwife's office after my water broke. about an hour after i guess. she said, yes your water broke, and said i could go on over to the hospital. in hindsight i wish i would have waited until my active labor began because i think that maybe if active labor didn't start right away they might have pressured me to augment labor. fortunately i didn't have to worry about it because in the 5 minute drive from the midwife's office to the hospital, i was in intense labor with contrax coming fast =) personally, if my hospital was near by, i would wait until my labor was really intense with contrax every few minutes. gl!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:31 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I didn't really at first, others told me.
    Same with my 2nd. Until the very end, theyn I understood and said HURRY- Go NOW!
    It can be hard to tell, especially when you've been around this subject a lot. You can know there are a LOT of "warming-up" things that can make you wonder.
    Having outside eyes helped us to call in and get ready to leave. Then I knew when it was time to get ready to push baby out & was then ready to get going, lol.

You might consider having a birth doula to help you. I have helped moms get their contractions close & steady, not leaving home too early.
    You can also plan a home birth. Even with a birth center, your midwives can come check on you at your home.

I say the 4-1-1 rule about when to go in, in general, but can better gauge and wait longer when observing in-person.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I started having mild cramps when I was napping in the afternoon at about 2:00 p.m. They seemed to come and go and by evening they were coming rather frequently and I realized they were contractions and started timing them. By 7:30 p.m, they were coming about 4 to 5 minutes apart and lasting about a minute each. I went to the hospital and said I was in active labor. But it was a long labor, about 14 hours and the dr had to break my water and my pushing stage seemed to last for ever... I pushed for 4 hours and delivered a beautiful baby girl.
    SweKrish

Answer by SweKrish at 11:51 AM on Dec. 2, 2009