Keeping two females in the same house?

Ok,
Long story short we have a 1.5 year old female Pit Bull, she is spayed, and we were offered an opportunity to get a pup from a litter a friend's nephew's dog had. Father is American Bulldog?, mother is Bulldog/Pit mix. There are 3 females, and 1 male. We would like to get the male, but he may already be spoken for. There is a female in the litter we are also considering, but not sure if she and my current dog would get along as pup grows up. My dog is not DA from my observations. Has anyone kept 2 female Pits (or any breed really) in the same house without problems? ((Pup would also be spayed ASAP)) I would prefer the male, but just curious about female as well...

lilmama2be

Asked by lilmama2be at 2:05 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pets

• Females generally do well together, if your dog doesn't have any dog aggression issues then they'd probably be fine.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:12 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I have 4 female dogs-- mutts of various breeds and mixes-- and all behave wonderfully with each other. I've usually found that having multiple males in the household causes more problems than multiple females. I think it's the opposite with cats! :)
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 2:53 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Unless both felmales are domanant yo will be fine with two females. I have had two females together several times and never had an issue
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:07 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I think you'll be fine, especially since this is a pup and your current dog can more easily assert it's dominance and teach it the pecking order. I have 2 females - a PB boxer and a pit/sharpei mix, that are closer than littermates. They sleep snuggled up together every night, groom each other and play all the time. Good luck with your new pupper!
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:30 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Most of the time multiple female dogs are not a problem. Especially since you're talking about a puppy, chances are excellent that it'll be just fine.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 9:00 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Since no one is going into heat and dog #2 is a puppy, they should be fine together. Pits love rules so new rules about the new dog will give her good mental stimulation.

I would be cautious a year from now. Sometimes dogs that live together will pack-up and bully an outsider. I'd work on socializing them together with new humans and other dogs.

An American Bull Dog mix?? I hope you don't have a coffee table! You'll never have a drink on there again! Wag wag wag.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:29 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I have two females, not pit bulls. They are both Whippets. They do fairly well. One of them - the oldest, is definitely the alpha of the two. She gets crated while I feed them their breakfast and dinner because we had two fights a year ago during meal time, so now they are separated and all is well. They do fine with sharing a spoonful of peanut butter, though and when I give out treats. Occasionally when they are outside in the backyard they will get so wound up that they have started fighting. Mostly the younger one annoys the crap out of the older one and every now then it just escalates. I've been able to break them up, though. I just grab the younger one while yelling at the older one (the younger one is deaf) or I squirt the hose on them. Then two minutes later they are perfectly fine with each other.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• By the way, both of my girls are spayed and they are about 1.5 years apart in age, too.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Thanks for the replies all! Well, we are not getting a pup from the litter. The owner's gf decided to double the price of the pups when she saw people were interested. $100 for a male, $150 for a female. Yea, I am currently looking at getting a 12 week old male from the local AC center already neutered, UTD on shots, Temperment tested, for $100. (a beautiful tri color Pit boy) I would much rather get one who needs a home. :)
    lilmama2be

Answer by lilmama2be at 10:57 PM on Dec. 6, 2009