Have you ever had your child prefer to sleep on the floor?

My son is 3 and just within the last 3 weeks he's been moving his blanket and pillow to the floor. I wake him up and ask him why he's sleeping on the floor and he says theres bugs in his bed. Now I dont ever say the saying sleep tight ya know and dont know why he feels that way. I got worried and took his bed and cleaned it examined it and nothing, no bugs. Any ideas? Any one else that has dealt with this?

dwn2earth

Asked by dwn2earth at 3:04 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my daughter does that too every once in a while, she goes thru stages. but just because she wants to, not because of "bugs". she sleeps on the floor, then she sleeps backwards on the floor, then she sleeps backwards in her bed, you name it, shes done it LOL more power to her!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:09 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I used to like sleeping on the floor as a kid.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:34 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• maybe the sheets or toys or something else in his bed makes him itch or feels weird on his skin? My DD slept in the floor for about 2 months when she was 2. We moved to a house with all hardwood floors so i had to talk her into sleeping in her bed.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 3:38 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I would let him be. My daughter did this for a short time around her fifth birthday.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• YEP...all of them at some point. My now 11 yr old would rather sleep in MY floor than her bed. My 3 and 8 yr olds would sleep in the floor too if it meant they got to sleep in the living room or my room. Kids just dont care and they can sleep anywhere. My 15 yr old is at the point that she likes her bed, so yes they grow out of it. Not a big deal and I would just let him be.
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 6:30 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Maybe he saw something on tv or heard somebody say something about bugs in the bed. Ask him where the bugs are. If you can point out to him that there are no bugs, maube he will go back in th bed. If not, just let him sleep on the floor. As long as you make sure he is warm, I wouldn't worry about it.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 7:26 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Hey, as long as they're sleeping, I say let 'em be :-)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:58 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My son sleeps on the floor. He's 8 and doesn't even have a bed any more. He used to wet the bed and ruined the mattress so over the summer I tossed it. We have these camp mats we used to use for guests so I gave him one of those but he'd rather sleep on the floor. I refuse to get him a new bed when he rarely ever slept on his old one. He's been sleeping on the floor since he was like 3. I've asked him why several times and she just shrugs and says it's more comfortable. I just thought he was strange.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:10 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My 12 and 13 year old sons liked to sleep on the floor for years they would make a big huge pile of pillows and blankets. I finally gave up trying to fight it. They were going to sleep at a good time and waking up at a good time so I decided who am I to judge and let them do it.
    Aemelia

Answer by Aemelia at 8:47 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• All my kids slept on the floor finally around 9 to 10 years of age they went back sleeping all night in their beds. Why not sure but it did not hurt them just make sure you ask if he is comfortable and maybe let him check the bed with you so he sees that nothing like the "bugs' are gone.
    myzero

Answer by myzero at 8:52 AM on Dec. 2, 2009