is this normal?

I love my son. I just find at times I fell really overwhemled. I get to the point that I cry sometimes. I dont get much help with the baby but I do have some help with housework. I try to take time for myself but sometimes it seems like I cant even get a shower taken. I am dont know what to do. My son in 7 months old. My son seems to never want to be put down. He thinks I have to hold him all day. It takes him at most 5 mins to know when he is layed down for his naps, or at night sometimes. I dont get much sleep at night maybe 4-5 hours a night. Could this just be a lack of sleep thing? I was wondering if the feelings of sadness are normal, lack of sleep, or ppd? What does it sound like to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Poor mommy!!!! Me too me too! Don't be too hard on yourself right now, lack of sleep drove me nuts!!!! My fav is that ppl tell me just to sleep when the baby sleeps. Well that works well for the 1st couple of weeks but when its 7 mo & the dishes haven't been done & the bathroom qualifies as a nuclear waste site you kinda have to get some things done. Hang in there, this is a phase he's going thru & should settle in. Talk to your dr to make sure its not ppd but for me it started getting better when I started getting 8 hrs again. Try asking someone to watch your son so you can get a nap.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 6:36 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I could be both lack of sleep and ppd. You may want to talk to her dr about it to better determine. It might help to retrain your baby not to be so dependant on you to sleep through the night.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 3:57 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Just when you think that you can't take it anymore, you will switch into a new stage. He won't want held forever, and you won't feel overwhelmed forever. Hang in there, Mama, it's all normal.

On the other hand, some women don't feel "right" after having a baby. Personally, I haven't been myself since, and after 16 months, I'm pretty sure it's PPD or may have developed into straight depression by now. So, if your gut says that you're not responding to things the way you used to or that you're just not able to get into a better place, get it checked out sooner than later.
    Also, my son went through about a week where he was MISERABLE. I mean, he cried constantly, I had to hold him 24/7, he stopped sleeping...if an alarm goes off, go to the dr. I had to take him to get his ears checked out and whatever they did was just enough to pop out that pressure.

sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 4:26 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Try wearing your baby, with a sling or other carrier. Do you cosleep? It was a lifesaver for us!

Answer by rkoloms at 5:49 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I used to strap my kids into a baby seat and set them on the floor of the bathroom to take a shower. You can't wait until they are asleep to take care of the house and yourself. They just don't sleep that much. You have to set up a baby swing next to the kitchen sink or laundry folding area and just talk and make eye contact. Singing keeps them quiet too. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• It is okay to let him cry for a few minutes so you can take care of yourself. I find it is easier to face the day if I have had a shower and a chance to get myself together a little bit! So, I used to put my baby in the infant seat and take a shower. If he cried a bit, at least I was clean and ready to deal with it. The little things can mean a lot! Try to let your baby get used to being put down, maybe a little bit at a time. If he is happy for 5 minutes try to increase it to 7 or 8, eventually for longer periods of time. If you make it a goal, little by little it will work.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:37 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My kids are 3 and 2 years old, and life is still the same way here (frazzled, 4-5 hours sleep, etc). Co-sleeping helps for those middle of the night wakings! Also wearing the baby is great for doing everyday stuff around the house... from vacuuming to brushing your hair. It really does work.
    Things WILL get easier. For me, once the kids started crawling it helped greatly. They weren't so frustrated all the time, and could get to the toys they wanted, so they didn't need me helping them constantly.
    The phase will pass, and your baby will be on to something else... maybe not better, but DIFFERENT.
    Danotoyou2

Answer by Danotoyou2 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Also- a ritual helps. It doesn't necessarily benefit the baby in any direct way, except that when Mommy is more relaxed, baby is naturally more at ease. At that age my son couldn't chase me onto the couch- while he was in his bouncy seat in the AM (when they seem a little calmer) I'd drink a giant mug of tea and watch the news- the upbeat, happy stuff. It made me feel more centered to handle my very moody son. Like Danotoyou2 says above, crawling does help. When he wants held ALL the freaking time, it helps that he'll be able to crawl after you while you get stuff done around the house. Oh, and one more thing: don't get into the habit of doing dishes and cooking while he's asleep now. Mine is a yr and a half soon, and won't let me do a damn thing in the kitchen or chore-wise- all he wants is my attention! I am really regretting not letting him see mommy working around the house at an earlier age, now.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 10:30 AM on Dec. 3, 2009