Would you be mad?

Im sooooo irritated!!! My 6 yr old daughter who is in kindergarten, took a sea shell to school, one that my husband and I got for her while on our honeymoon in 2008- her teacher said that we got it for her since before she was born, my daughter told her no they didnt, and her teacher then said, well it should have been!!! My husband and I were together for a short period of time before we got pregnant, due to birth control that failed but we were together for 6 yrs before we got married! We had 2 kids at the time we got married as well! I dont see it a problem, at least we made sure that we wanted to be together, instead of putting my kids through hell by getting married and possibly divorced later! Plus is this really any of her teachers business to tell her what my husband and I should have and shouldnt have done? Am I wrong for being soooo upset? Isnt this a religious belief? Schools arent supposed to teach that! R they?

sxc_mom_of2

Asked by sxc_mom_of2 at 3:17 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in

• yes i would too, especially from a teacher to a child, people should keep their opinions to themselves, the world would then be a nicer place, i would have complained to the head of the school
    niceandspice

Answer by niceandspice at 3:29 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• well I sent the teacher an email tonight and am giving her a chance to explain first... I just found this out tonight though!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 3:41 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Wow. I would march right up to the teacher, discuss it with her in private,then send a nice letter to her boss and the school board. Your business is not hers, and she should not talk to your child that way. What a rude and immature way for her to act.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:24 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Keep in mind that 5-6 yr olds (and often older) don't always give parents the full story because they don't always understand what is said, so give the teacher a chance to explain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:28 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• WOW! I would be pretty furious, too. Hopefully, once she emails you back she will be able to explain what she said in a way that is NOT how it came out, though, honestly, from the sounds of it, I would be surprised. I would be keeping a copy of the email you sent her and whatever reply she sends you, and if she's not able to clear things up then I would be going to the Principal and possibly the school board.

Because, aside from this not being any of her business, and aside from it's not her place to pass judgment or comments on this, for all she knows, you were married, got pg, got widowed, had a baby (before or after being widowed), got re-married, and he adopted her! Or you could have been raped, had a baby, and got married later and he adopted her, ANY number of things that could be "acceptable" - NOT that she should be deciding what's "acceptable", but...

Just WOW - SO out of line!!!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:30 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• No, I wouldn't be immediately mad. I have a 6 year old and I remember well from when he was in K, that it is easy at that age to lose something in translation. Reserve your anger for after the teacher has had a chance to explain things to you. You might be surprised at what she has to say. (=
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Yes, I would. It isn't the teachers place to say something like that to a child. I also, don't think it is necessarily a religious belief...I know people who aren't religious that think parents should be married before having kids. I would have a talk with the teacher and principal.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I would be very upset , because teachers aren't supposed to talk like that to 6 year olds. in the first. Why would the teacher even tell your daughter such a thing like that for anyways. Thats just not right. you should discuss this with the teacher, about why she told your daughter this story, then make her say she's sorry to you and your daughter, and tell the teacher to tell your daughter right there in front of you that the story she told her about the sea shell is not true ,and make the teacher tell your daughter the real story. or you will go up and tell the principal and school board what she said to your daughter, and take your daughter with you for proof.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• No Im a teacher and i would be pissed if someone said that too my daughter. I would let the administration know and let her know that you dont appreciate it.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 4:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2009