Support/Advice... 16 m/o with Terrible Twos?

Does anybody have exp. w/their toddler being ahead of the advice books/websites? I'm a S@HM and just am having trouble. I don't know how to gauge what's normal when every time I check out those mags or websites, the milestones they say are coming up or 'next year' happened months ago or are already happening.
Her ped. is pretty useless about it. Just says she's on the "fast track." She got her teeth early, rolled over early, scooted, grabbed, and crawled early...
She is counting , correctly naming letters, talking in 5-6 word sentences , knows colors. Decided she is using the potty now & does. Temper tantrums, says "ummmm NO!" to everything... Has a VERY long attention span... Pretends a lot.

I am posting this anon because the only time I've asked advice about this before some moms were pretty nasty. Please don't answer my question with the snotty anger of some bored loser who comments on every question that pops up

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• and what is the problem? it s
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 4:11 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• it sounds like shes doing good i wouldnt be worried
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 4:12 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• DD's EXACTLY the same, she's 19 months now a we've been saying she's having the terrible twos for a few months now. Makes sense, she's way ahead in all other areas, so why wouldn't she hit the terrible twos early?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 4:14 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• "She is counting , correctly naming letters, talking in 5-6 word sentences , knows colors. Decided she is using the potty now & does. Temper tantrums, says "ummmm NO!" to everything... Has a VERY long attention span... Pretends a lot."

Did you kid nap my daughter? lol

Well everything except for the potty, she's off and on with that.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 4:17 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Kids move at their own pace, so I'd say to stop looking at magazines/websites/books/grandparents and just watch your kid. All of the things that you mentioned are great- encourage them and just try to get TOO stressed out. My mother always swore that 18 mo was worse than the terrible twos because you can't reason with them yet. By 2 there's a bit of fear, a bit of reasoning, a bit of coherence. 18 mo has always been worse in my family.
    I really am surprised that your little one seems so far ahead- mine is almost 16 mo and barely talks at all (though we're thinking he needs tubes, after weekly ear infections) Do the best you can- sounds like you're doing really well so far!
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 4:38 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• All you named above plus she's defying your wishes. Right? I don't understand the question. All my kids were like that. This is a good thing. You want them this way. What is your question?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• We started doing one minute time outs at 16 or 17 months, she got the idea really quick. I'd give her a warning, if she continued then I'd put her on the couch and watch the clock for 1 min (not talking to her, no eye contact, etc), after the minute was up I would tell her again why she was on time out and asked her to say sorry, she would say sorry and then give me a hug and kiss.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 4:48 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Sounds like you have a lovely little daughter. I would just make sure to keep challenging her in your every day life. It sounds like she is very smart.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 7:14 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• The terrible two's start in the second year of life. Not when they are two. My LO has been going through the terrible two's for a about 5-6 weeks now. We are doing 1 minute timeouts (she has to stay where we put her until the screaming has stopped for one minute) then we get her. So far so good. She doesn't want to eat then she goes hungry until the next meal. I won't have a brat for a child and I will be in control of my house. I wish you luck and it sounds like your DD is ahead of the curve. Just keep encouraging her developmentally. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:15 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• The developmental milestones are charted to make sure babies are doing the minimum of what they should be doing. Honestly, I think most babies are ahead of those curves. You just don't need to be concerned unless your baby is past the expected age of the milestone (and even then many babies grow up fine even when they were behind somewhat). The reason why the pediatrician isn't acting like it is "news" is because it isn't news. He sees many babies like yours! So, I think your question is more about the terrible two behavior then? I wouldn't worry about what it is called as much as how to address the behavior! Just focus on the behaviors---encourage the behavior you want and don't do anything to inadvertantly reward the behavior you don't want. That is true whatever the age of the child!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:25 AM on Dec. 2, 2009