is this werid?

I have a 1 month old son who wont go to his daddy. Everytime he tries to hold him he pretty much cries. I go to take a bath and if my husband tries to feed he wont take it but i could pick him up and hed start drinking it. IS this nornmal? I dont understand why he doesnt like his daddy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would ask daddy if he is nervous around the baby? The baby can tell if someone is nervous and feeds off their energy. My LO loves her Daddy. She and I didn't really connect until she was about 7 mos old. I would just remind Daddy to stay calm and continue to hold him while he is crying. Just relax it will get better.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:00 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• It's pretty normal for young babies to be overly attached to their mothers. All 3 of mine were like that, then around age 10 months or so they figured that daddy was the "fun" parent and mommy was there for all the work stuff - feed, change, bathe, etc. Now my 16 month old prefers dad to me alot of the times, but usually when he's all revved up and wants to play hide and seek - which he will do for HOURS! Right now, your baby is used to your smell and the sound of your voice. Also, is this is dad's first, he may be tense without realizing it and the baby can sense it. Give them time, they'll get used to each other.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:02 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Things like this are common.....I wouldn't start using the phrase "he doesn't like his Daddy" because you don't want to let your husband believe that and pull away from his son. Think about it this way: At that age, their whole world is changed depending on who is holding them. The feel of the body, the arm, the hand--that is all they know. Even the sound of the voice, the whole thing. Going from one person to another changes EVERYTHING about their environment, so it is understandable that they would prefer what they are most used to. Dad should continue trying to hold him and do things with him. As a matter of fact, the more often, the better. They just need to get used to each other. Think of how great Dad will feel when he can comfort his baby!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:07 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My daughter didn't really like going to my husband until she was about 2 months old. Unless she was sleeping. I breastfeed and it seemed like every time he would hold her, five minutes later she was hungry. I started giving her to him right after feeding and that did help - sometimes. Now she is 3.5 months old and is fine with him holding her. Although sometimes she fusses and he'll try to give her to me and I'm like - did you check her diaper? Sure enough she'll be wet. Ugh! Men!
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:43 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My youngest (now 27 months) was fine being held by Daddy if I was in the room. If I walked out of the room he screamed bloody murder. After a few months he got over it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Dec. 2, 2009