fish question

I have 3 goldfish in a medium sized tank and one of them is acting funny. It keeps swimming backwards or to the side and wont go to the top of the tank. Its been like this for about 4 days. My husband thinks its dieing but i dont know. Has anyone ever had this problem?

proudmama930

Asked by proudmama930 at 7:51 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pets

• Usually when they start acting strange they are going to die soon. I would just keep your eye out, you may find a dead fish one morning.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:54 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I agree... a lot of times swimming funny is the first sign that a fish is starting to decline. Though they can still go on for quite awhile like that before they die. Sorry about that!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:57 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Some kind of system failure....yes, probably dying. I have had similar problems with other kinds of fish. They couldn't adjust their position anymore and died after a short time.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:58 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• sorry hun but i have been there and seen that and sure enough i find a dead fishie.. it would be an act of god if it lived.. i remember the first one that i had that did that i thought the same thing...what in the world...after a few days i woke up to it floating and a very sad lil girl...( my dd ) needless to say fluffy the fish ( dont aks lol. ) had a funaral there was no flush really a fenural and it was cold and almost frozen outside. but we were able to bury fluffy..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:19 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Have you checked your water quality lately? The reason I ask is because GF are notoriously disgusting creatures that naturally produce ammonia. An excess of ammonia will cause fish to begin swimming erratically, as well as a host of other issues.
    Water quality is essential in a tank. I've had tanks for over 20 years. What size tank is it also? Goldfish are not "built' for a fish tank. They require at least 2 gallons of water per inch of fish, and they are in the carp family. They grow quite large. A normal GF will get about 14-18" long and will require at least 28 gallons of water to survive for just one fish. They are so very different than tropicals.
    If you have any questions let me know. There is way too much information about fish keeping to go into here with only a 940 character limit.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:21 AM on Dec. 2, 2009