Cats and Dogs DTD?

I have a 7lb mutt dog (8mos) and a 5-6m old kitten. Both were given to us over the course of the summer. Do to unforseen financial road bumps, we had to make the choice not to get either of them fixed until after the holidays. We generally don't think its a big deal. The dog is very well behaved and does as he's told and the kitten doesn't leave the house. Plus, its not like they can have dats/cogs (whatever-- my neighbor and I laughed alot over this)

I'm not sure, but judging by how my dog is acting I'm assuming my kitten must be going into heat. He never mounts anything (he tried that on our older male cat once and I bopped his butt so hard he's never done it again), but I've caught him on the kitten, hips going, a couple times now.

My DH says that something must be seriously wrong with the dog (in a he's crazy type of way) because the hormones given off by a cat shouldn't attract him. (Continued)

IrishMommaC

Asked by IrishMommaC at 8:54 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pets

• I have seen this before! Crudeness warning!

My BFF's pit bull is 11 years old and scoops up the cats with his paw, holds them to his belly, and humps them. We tell him, "If the other dogs learn that this is your idea of getting some pussy, they are going to laugh at you."

She has no children, just fur babies. No one is scared for life by the perversion.

ALL the animals are fixed and were fixed before sexual maturity. He even does it to other people's cats when he's visiting. He never humps furniture, other dogs, his bed, anything. We have been unsuccessful in stopping him.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:25 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I think that he must be just the equivalent of "prison gay" for the female cat. And honestly, unless they start doing this in front of the kids and I have to answer questions, I generally think its kind of funny (ah, the animal kingdom).

Oh, I should probably mentioned that they've been best buddies since the kitten came home with us.

So, out of curiosity, what do you think?
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 8:56 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I would try to keep them separated when the kids are present, but other wise is sounds funny.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:59 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• i saw on some show once where the dog was humping this couples kid..and the dog whisperer said that the dog just needed more activity..and to walk him more
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:08 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• It's a dominance issue. :-) Dog wants cat to know that he's at the top of the food chain. He's trying to figure out where he stands in his pack and may even think he's the pack leader right now. The best way to deal with it is to teach him that his humans are more dominant that he is.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 9:41 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• eema.gray is right, it's a dominance issue. Humping, in the dog world, is a sign that dog is more dominant and is allowed to do this to "lower" dogs. If he were to try humping a dog that is not "below" him, he'll be warned by the other dog. Males aren't the only ones that do this; female dogs do it also.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I agree that it's a dominance issues... even dogs that are fixed will try to mount something they perceive as being beneath them in the pecking order. I have two guinea pigs and see this behaviour sometimes when there is a 'power struggle' go on between the two girls.

And ecodani, LMAO- that's a funny comment!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2009