Does anyone else have fashion issues with their tween boy?

My SS12 is so concerned about his outward appearance (hair, clothes, shoes, etc). He fights us on EVERYTHING. He likes to wear his jeans pulled down below his butt and no matter how much we yell, ground him, take away phone privileges...we still find him doing it. Today my BF had a huge fight with him because he wanted to go out in a t-shirt and hoodie (it is 32 degrees outside). He refused to wear a coat until my BF finally threatened he'd never see his friends again. I realize he's going thru puberty, but I don't know why he fights us so much on this because he ends up losing privileges and getting grounded so he can't talk to his friends on the phone or go out to see them. Does anyone else have this issue and if so, how do you deal with this?

not-the-momma

Asked by not-the-momma at 8:58 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• T-shirt and hoodie....Ok. Pants below the waist, um no. Solve that by telling him you will get overalls or elastic waistbands.
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I am not there yet, but hope you get some great answers!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• You need to choose your battles.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:10 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• as far as not going out with out a coat.... let him freeze once and he wont do it again.

as far as 'sagging'.... see if you can compromise on how far. No underware showing, and shirt covering. My son is super skinny so to get the length he often sags a little. My rule is no underware showing and shirt covering.

if he is 'sagging' to look ghetto then you have a problem. look around and be honest... do you live in a bad area? are the influances there? do they start with the clothes? get him away from the ghetto attitude NOW. if that is the issue.... it can lead no where good!
    Anonymous

• I am a bit meaner than above posters, go to Goodwill Store and get some really ugly clothes, show them to him and tell him every time you wear pants that sag the next day you get to wear this outfit. Do not ground or take away privileges, I am sure just one time of wearing geeky clothes to school would "cure" this rebellion.

higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 11:39 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• sagging pants: Tell him if he wants to wear his clothes like that then he better get a job to pay for his own clothes. this is the perfect time to teach him responsibility for his actions. if he continues to wear them like that then take the clothes that you bought away and take him shopping at the thrift store with his money, not yours! He won't think his rebellion is worth it anymore.

shirt and sweater: same thing if you think about it. he disobeyed you and the consequence would be getting sick and having to go to the doctor. well make him pay for the doctor and the visit and anything else like prescriptions. he thinks he's old enough tpo make his own decisions than he's old enough to pay for those decisions.
    karendabell

Answer by karendabell at 2:23 PM on Dec. 11, 2009