Mothers of late walkers...

I have a friend whose son is almost 15 months old and is still not walking. He just started standing on his own about 2 weeks ago. He'll stand by himself for a few seconds and that's it. He also doesn't seem to be developing normally as far as speech goes. Both of mine were "typical" as far as walking and talking, although my youngest was an early talker. I would never say anything to her, because I don't want to upset her or poke my nose in where it doesn't belong. I was just wondering if any of you had a late walker and everything turned out fine in the end?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When I took my son in for his 15 month check up, he was not walking and the doctor said it was completly normal. He did say it was good that he would stand by himself for a little while and/or walk when holding on to something. My son was also a late talker (still is...) and the doctor is not worried. Dont compare your friend's baby to your baby(s). Sounds normal to me. I am sure she knows he isn't walking as early as most children are already. Her doctor can tell her when to worry, not her friends. IMO, if a friend of mine started to tell me (without me asking her first) that I should worry and their child was already doing such and such by this age, I would probably spend a lot less time with her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My niece was an early walker, but late talker, my god daughter was a late walker and late talker. My DD was an early talker and a right on time walker. Walking and talking is all relative to what is normal in that family. So if mom or dad was late then the baby will be late too. Just be patient with her son it will happen when it happens.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:01 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Oh, and my son did begin walking at around 15.5 - 16 months and never fell down... he is just very cautious in nature, which is what his teachers and doctors both told me!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Thanks everyone!! Like I said, I'm not going to say anything to her, I don't want to upset her and make her feel like I'm sticking my nose where it doesn't belong. I was just wondering if other moms dealt with the same thing and it turned out okay without any problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• my oldest didn't want to walk.

she started around 16months.

she's totally fine - runs like a girl (picture phoebe and rachel jogging in that episode of Friends) but she's totally normal.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:24 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My son didn't walk til 17 months, and now won't sit down, runs everywhere (he's about 2 1/2 now). He had a few words & sounds for words at his 2 year checkup, and now won't quit talking (he still has some speech impediments, but he talks!). Everyone thought that he needed all kinds of crazy things done, but we waited, and I'm glad - he probably does need a little speech therapy but we're going to wait a bit longer before deciding on that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Dec. 2, 2009