I've been a stay at home mom for 13 yrs now & am planning to go back to work but I have anxiety about having an interview, please help me to overcome this. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• Remember, stay at home moms have lots of skills that employers value: logistics, budgeting and finance, time management, etc. You probably also picked up some great experience doing volunteer work.

Do your research on the company, and be prepared with great questions. Check your Linkedin network to see if you have any connections to the company and can get some "inside scoop".

As soon as you get home, get a hand written thank you note in the mail.

I do career and jobsearch coaching. I am always happy to help cafemoms (and dads) with resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview prep. Feel free to contact me directly. –Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 10:54 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Deep breaths, make eye contact, look up possible questions and answers online so you hav e afew prepared things to say. Smile sit up straight and dont worry too much, just be yourself. They are used to seeing nervous people, even people who have been working for a long time are often nervous for an interview. You will do great!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:05 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• People with less patience and brains are interviewing for the same job. Tons of young people fresh out of school. When I had to interview people I always favored experienced mothers because they were reliable. They didn't need anyone to hold their hand. They just made better coworkers.

HR folks know this.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:24 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Be yourself, be honest and most importantly ~ BE CONFIDANT!! You are a MOM ... what skill DON'T you have? LOL, I wish you the best of luck Mama!! Good Luck at your interview!
    jjk45xox

Answer by jjk45xox at 4:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2009