selective vaccinations question

For those of you that choose to only get certain shots, which are the most important. The ones you believe are worth the risk. Thanks, I have been doing research.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I would just keep doing the research. I have just recently started doing the research and I have come to the conclusion that none are worth the risk, but it is too late for my first child. I did vaccinate, but not all of them.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:58 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• We actually don't vaccinate at all, but a great book I'd recommend is the Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears. He devotes one chapter to each vaccine, talks about the prevalence of the disease it aims to prevent, the risks involved with that disease, the ingredients in each vaccine and the risks associated with them. He is actually pro vaccine, but has a selective/ delayed vaccine schedule he suggests and the book is one of the few unbiased ones I've been able to find. Good luck! Keep researching! :)

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:08 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I did not get my son the MMR vaccine, I had a horrible reaction to it when I was little as well as my brother, I also did not chose to get the flu shots because they are too new!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:18 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Tetnus is an important one. We would up getting meningitis when there was an outbreak in the neighborhood around my daughter's school. Polio.

Do your research, make your own conclusions. I strongly recommend single dose, preservative free vaccines.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• We get them all...except for the herpes vaccine. Why not?
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:51 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• there's a herpes vaccine?? I've been interested in the selective vaccinting too.. or at least delayed. My daughter turns two in a couple of weeks and has a doctors appt this month.. and I'm nervous about the shots.
    starmoonlight

Answer by starmoonlight at 11:10 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Lindalu... I have never heard of a herpes vaccine. Can you send some info?

I'm under vaxed myself and I'm not vaxing my baby.

Our family plan is to do only polio at 1 year. Then at 15, if our kids go away to school early like I did and will be living in a dormitory, they will get meningitis and Hep A & B. If they don't go off to school until 18, we'll wait until then.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:12 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Dr Sears offers additional information on vaccines with an extended vaccination plan.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I started my daughter with the DTP and the Prevnar. I told my doctor that I was going to spread out her vaccines and I had planned to get DTP and Hib (I believe that was recommended by Dr. Sears). The doctor said if I was going to limit to 2 that he would suggest DTP and Prevnar because they were more prevalent. I knew we wanted DTP for the Tetanus and the Pertussis (whooping cough which has been making a comeback). I took his advice of Prevnar over Hib. My daughter is one now and just started getting her Hib vaccines and I am glad because I know meningitis killed a few kids last year. I tried to think of what illnesses could really make her sick or kill her. I wasn't worried about a risk of her contracting polio and I didn't get the Rotovirus because at the time she wasn't in daycare and this usually isn't a life threatening illness. I am delaying the MMR at this time as well, I want her to be older to have it.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2009