How do I get my son to take his medicine!?!

Took my 21 month old to the doctor 2 days ago and found out he has his first ear infection :[ Poor boy. Anyway, the worst of it is I can't get him to take his medicine! He has to take amoxicillin. My husband can do it, but he basically shoves the syringe down his throat. But somehow he ends up spitting half of it out! Will he still get better without getting the full dose every time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Good luck momma, had the same problem with my now 16 yr old, as a matter of fact he just started being ok with meds about a year ago. I used to straddle him and hold his legs with my but and his harms with my knees and shove it down his throat. I know it sounds terrible but that is how my doc told me to do it. Even though he spit some out, he did get some so it helped.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 10:41 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Yes they can. I would just keep giving it to him. The Amox tastes like bubblegum. I wonder why he doesn't like it. Have you made it fun for him? I would just keep doing it. Some kids have to be pinned to the floor and then the medicine put in their mouth in little spurts until it is all gone. I have had to pin my child to get medicine into her.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:33 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I just feel so bad for him, he's my first, and I've never had an ear infection and neither did DS until now. He's just very picky, but I'm surprised he doesn't like it. I've heard it tastes pretty good! lol. Pinning him is what it comes down to. I tried to mix a little with milk, but he knew it was there and wouldn't drink it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• also, squeeze his cheeks so his mouth is kind of pursed, and keep his head slightly tilted. I only had that problem when my sons were little babies. My first got so many ear infections and got so used to taking medicine that he actually asks for medicine when he is sick now.

Keep trying, it will only make him better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My son loves to take medicine. EXCEPT for one type of antibiotic...it wasn't the amox. though. With that type of medicine, I mixed it in with a container of applesauce and gave it to him as a snack. You can put it in a favorite food or drink...the more milk or food you use, the more he wont notice the medicine...just make sure he eats or drinks it all up! And don't let him see you put it in there!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:49 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• You can also try putting it in a medicine cup, instead of a syrenge and asking if he wants some candy. (you are right, that stuff does taste good! LOL) so what that you call it candy...at least he will take it!?!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:51 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• syringe in the mouth at the side (between the cheek and teeth), make sure its far enough back that it goes straight down and triggers the swallow reflex.

Tilt the head back hold the lips closed and squirt it in. - hold mouth closed (he can still breathe through nose) and make sure its swallowed.

I've been having to administer medication to my youngest since she was 1 and this is the best way to get it in.

then offer a drink or bottle.

NEVER REFER TO MEDICATION AS CANDY!!! thats disaster waiting to happen!
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:28 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• hit post too soon.

We had to call that one type of medicine a treat. It got him to take his medicine (even the doctor said it is the worst tasting medicine out there) and it got him well.

Now he gets excited to take his medicine.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 12:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Thanks so much girls for all your answers!!! It really helps ease the worry. I will try to keep his mouth closed and straddle him...if that doesn't work I'll try to mix it in his favorite food or snack since the milk thing doesn't work. Again THANK YOU!!!
    Anonymous