OMG how do I get rid of ants??? Please help!

I live on the first floor of an apartment building and I'm home sick today. My husband left a bowl of cereal on the counter this morning, and I noticed a long line of ants coming from a vent and going to the bowl. So gross! I've killed as many as I could find, but does anyone have any pointers on how to stop them from coming back? (I know, don't leave things on the counter is a given, but I want other ideas lol) Thanks in advance!

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 10:43 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Home & Garden

• They sell a powder called borax in the laundry section of most stores. I can't remember the exact recipe, but you mix a little borax with water and sugar and set it out. The ants eat it and take it back to the nest. It poisons them and all the ants that touch them so it will kill the whole colony. You may also need to mix some with peanut butter, since ants eat either sweet stuff or oily stuff depending on what they need at the time. You can google 'borax ant removal' for some recipes. Borax isn't harmful to kids or pets. Also, since you're in an apartment, you can call the office and request they send pest control out. We had horrid ant problems when we lived in TX and the borax worked great for us, plus it's only $3 for a huge box.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Sprinkle cinnamon where ever you see them.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:46 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I will try that, thank you!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:47 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Buy an anteater? :)
    Besides the chemical pesticides, I don't know. I'd be up for trying the cinnamon. :)
    Foster_Mom

Answer by Foster_Mom at 1:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I would call the landlord and request pest control.......its just easier that way......they will most likely spray the whole buliding .
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 4:05 PM on Dec. 6, 2009