Is your teen going to College? University? Jr?

My 16 yr old wants to study computers and I am suggesting he go to Jr college first to get all his general requirements out of the way due to the cost is so much cheaper and the Jr college here is one of the best in the state. Then transfer to the university. Thoughts?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 10:43 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Your plan will save you a lot of money. There is nothing wrong with starting at a community college.

Have you started looking at scholarships? www.fastweb.com

Answer by rkoloms at 10:45 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• That's a great plan- it is what I wish I did and what my sister did and loved it. The money saved is great, and another benefit is that with a Jr College the class sizes are usually a lot smaller and you don't get lost in the shuffle like you do at a University so I think the transitiion from high school to college is easier and the student is more likely to have a relationship with the professors than to be another face in the crowd. The drawback to a lot of kids I think is that they want the freedom of University life- dorms, parties, etc. Not that this is logical, but I think the teenage mind works this way sometimes.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• The tecnical college in my city offers a better computer department than both the private and public 4 year colleges. It is also, a lot cheaper and quicker. Two years vs 4 + years. There isnothing wrong with a technical or jr college degree. They are sometimes even better.

My son WILL be going to some type of college, he has NO choice. He want to be either..a game designer(computers) or a History teacher. Either way, he needs college for it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I think your plan is a good one. In my state if high school students can test into classes at the community college, all tuition fees are waived so long as they are under 18. The only fee is for books and labs. That is what my daughter is doing now in addition to her high school classes (she is a junior this year). By the time that she is done she will have hopefully amassed nearly two years worth of college credit by the time that she graduates high school.
    Anonymous

• Depends on her chances at a University scholarship. Most university scholarships are awarded to incoming freshmen who apply early in the fall of their senior year. If she has the grades and/or ACT scores for a scholarship then you should at least look at her top couple of choices. Doing the community college first makes her a transfer student later & there won't be any free $ for her couple of years at the university. Your high school should have an expert in college placement to talk to. Maybe just the counselor, but hopefully a separate person dedicated to college placements and transcripts, and financial aid etc.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 12:15 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• My sons are both Seniors. One is going in to the Air Force after he graduates and the other has already (since early October) been accepted to his 1st choice college (a private Catholic school). So far (as of today) it looks like he's going to be responsible for about $4,200 a year which isn't so bad considering that tuition and food & housing combined is approx. $35,000. Scholarships (he has applied for quite a few and still has more to apply for) will help with some, if not most or all, of the $4,200. The school he's going to has an excellent nursing program and that's what he wants. He also wants to play football and the school has an excellent team and a coach he respects. He's looked at 5 other colleges (and their football programs) though this one was his 1st and main choice all along. If sports weren't a factor then community college 1st and then transferring to another school would have been an option.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• My sons a senior also and my husband wants him to go the the community college, whereas I want him to go to the university and live on campus, it's about 25 minutes for our house. My son is very shy and I think living in a dorm with a few boys would be good for him. I also feel that with community college you don't get the full college experiece and I want that for my son. Money is an issue with us, so we are looking at scholarships and I'm looking into working more hours at my job next year. I think community is fine, but my son really needs to get out there and meet friends.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 1:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• We will see it is only freshman year for our oldest of 3... so we have some time yet.

However, we have expressed to our kids from the get go that we would like them to strive to get into a university from the get go. To live on campus and get the whole college experiance. We have saved and saved and saved. Hopefully we can cover 4 yrs for each child (only As and Bs) and living expenses. They will have to help out with the money for extras.
    Anonymous

• Unless they are in a highly technical field and can't get the classes for their field at jr. college, or they are exceptionally bright and able to get full scholorships jr. college is the way to go.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:27 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Great plan. It works best if the Jr college and the University already have a reciprocity plan in place. Don't get the idea that he should be taking general requirements only. He should be setting himself up in his major. Otherwise it may take 5 yrs or more to graduate. If he needs Calculus before Physics and needs Sophomore Physics before Jr and Sr level classes. He better be taking the calculus at the Jr. College. Make sure all of his prerequisites line up and transfer accordingly.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:19 AM on Dec. 4, 2009