How much would/do you pay for a child care provider??? Hourly?

I find it odd that the majority of parents aren't willing to pay a good hourly rate to the person they have watch and care for their child. We spend $ on so many non important items so why be so "cheap" (for lack of a better word) when it comes to the care of our children?
Not passing judgement on anyone, just really curious what your thoughts are.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I watch a child thats 2 and his mom pays me $75 a week for 5 days 9 hours a day (it was $65 and i just went up on her) I don't think thats enough if he only comes 4 days she will not pay the whole 75 she is a teacher and her husband has a good job they also have another child and buy her $100 pocket books the mom gets a massage once a week and i even have to keep him later I think they are running over me They bring him in PJs knowing i have to take and walk my child into her school everyday so i even have to buy him clothes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Because they are only making so much when they go to work, I can't expect them to pay me what they'e making, what would be the point of them going at all??

I watched a baby for a girl I used to work with and she only made like $8 an hour so I only charged her $4 an hour. I descide how much to charge based on each situation.
    DayDaysmom19

Answer by DayDaysmom19 at 11:18 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I would charge no less than $20 a day for an 8 hour day. If the hours went over the 8 hours I would charge atleast $25 a day. That is still cheaper than day care. On average, day care is over $250 a week for a child under 2 years old and over $150 a week for a child under 5 yrs old. In most cases, you pay for what you get. If you want quality, healthy, care..then you need to pay for it.

As for the lady that charges $75 a week. I would charge more and they would have to deal with it. You also need to put everything in writing, including that if he doesn't come. she still has to to pay...just like at a day care. You can offer so many sick days and or vacation days that she can use, but otherwise she can take advantage of your kindness.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:59 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I take my daughter to an in-home daycare where there are usually a total of 4-5 kids and I pay $50 per day and she goes 4 days a week. It is expensive. I checked into a daycare center that cost $190 for 5 days so I could save some money but I really love the woman who watches my daughter, and I don't think I could have the same peace of mind if she were at a daycare center. I feel that good childcare is worth every dollar. If I can't be with my daughter then I am willing to pay to make sure that she is somewhere safe and nurturing where she can thrive.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• That's one of the reasons I'm a SAHM - I can't afford to pay someone as much as it is worth to me for them to take good care of my son!

Answer by missanc at 12:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I pay $75 a week for my son to go to an in home daycare. I have to pay the same amount no matter if we use her service every day not, and no matter if she is closed for holiday or a sick day........there are no adjusted rates.

Currently we only use her 3 days a week, but still have to pay the weekly fee like he was there all 5.
    Foster_Mom

Answer by Foster_Mom at 1:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I used to use in home daycare's and just went from provider to provider trying to find one that I trusted and knew took care of my children, I live in Nebraska and for my two kids it was usually $150/wk. However recently we switched to a center because the in home sitter lost my autistic some who is limited verbal along with some other problems that cropped up with my infant. I needed a more secure place. The center charges $115/wk for infants and $90/wk for my preschooler, we then qualify for a $300 scholarship per month. It straps us financially but at least I know that my son's are safe there and can't get lost.
    karisia3

Answer by karisia3 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 30, 2010